taking free range chickens and putting them in a run?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozzchicken, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ozzchicken

ozzchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Bethlehem,Pa
    I am thinking of getting RIR and leghorns that are free ranging and putting them in a run.
    Will the adapt? and will they keep laying?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Yes

Yes.

I was having unacceptable losses to I had built a 20*12 run mine are fine there-

Good Luck.

3. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    I'm interested in this too. Because we will not build our run until we get the potatoes out of the garden. [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Originally I let my birds free range and they were getting into my gardens eating the plants I had planted and digging up plants. Also they were getting into my compost piles and spreading them out everywhere. I had to do something so I made them large runs which I call my chicken yards. They adjusted just fine. I didn't have a predator problem because at the time we were always outside working and I would close them in their coops at night. Now I have an electric fence.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. mary24

mary24 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    We to are looking into putting up an electric fence because I am worried they will go places they shouldn't and I want them to free range. Right now they are 7 weeks old (leghorns) and are in the barn. My question is do you having any problems with the chickens flying outside of the fence?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by