Taking goose to vet

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SouthernPride, Dec 16, 2011.

1. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    So I think our injured goose, the one attacked by our dog, has a leg out of socket. I' m going to take her to the vet. I don't have a crate, she's rather large, not crazy about being picked up, but the vet is only about 5 min away. Is it possible to restrain their wings with some sort of wrap like ace bandage or maybe a towel?

2. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Cut a hole in feed bag in the corner i use this normally for butchering. wind it up tight and tie it she wont be able to move and her head will be free.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    I can't imagine you're not there already (please update?) but in the interest of being thorough - all animals should be containerized at the vets. If not on a leash operated by someone able to hold the animal, then in a box or bag. It is safer for all the animals involved.

4. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    I did not have a crate. I put her in one of my husbands sweatshirts. Then when we got to vets they brought a crate out to us to put her in.

Her leg is not broken or dislocated but infection has set in and there is an exposed nerve. He cleaned it up real good sprayed it anticeptic and gave her an injection of antibiotic. I will have to do the same for the 5 days. I hope she starts using the leg soon.

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Sorry to hear that but with the wound cleaned and application of antiseptic healing should be underway. The goose will rest the leg more than usual but just ensure she's eating and drinking well, even if that means putting the food/water within easy reach.

Best of luck and hope to hear that she's recovering in the next few days [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

6. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Update: Saria seems to be happy and alert altho she is still not eating, not even her favorites. Giving her the injection is a piece of cake but cleaning the wound has proven to be very difficult because of its location and her strength. I'm afraid I may not be doing as good of a job as the vet would do. I don't want to loose her as it has become apparent since her injury that we may have an "mixed" couple. Our Brown Chinese has become very, very protective of his Canada girlfriend! I've borrowed a crate and will probably take her back to the vets in a couple of days.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If you can get to TSC and buy Vetericyn spray for wounds and infection that way you can spray the wound out and not have to work so hard. Hope she gets better for you and her mate. [​IMG]

8. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    The vet gave me a purple liquid to clean it with daily and a spray to use after the cleaning. I don't know have the names with me. I would hope that it is the best there is.

9. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    In the future, try a laundry hamper.....

10. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Awesome idea, or even a laundry basket. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by