taking in an emergency flock of chickens and a duck need help not much time.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by backyardmomma, Mar 15, 2015.

1. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    At some point today or tomorrow i am taking in some chickens and one pekin female duck. It may be a few days or few months telk my friends are back on there feet. So i know about chickens but little about ducks. She has a little pond and eats chicken feed and lots of kitchen goods but what about nesting do they need a special box or anything i am so busy getting the coop area i don't have time to research ducks at moment.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If she is used to being with the chickens she should be fine - ducks do not roost (okay, I am talking Mallard-derived ducks like Pekins), so she'll need a spot sheltered from the poop from on high, where the chickens roost.

Ducks need water - like a kiddie pool, and need to be able to wash their heads at least in fresh water multiple times a day for good health and avoidance of ear, sinus and eye infections.

There are several ways to do it, but it's best to plan for proper drainage of the duck swim water - and she needs to be able to get in and out of the water easily to avoid leg injuries.

3. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    Thank you. So very much she has pool coming with her. Does she need a box the coop i am setting up has deep leaf litter and the have straw they are bringing me as well. If something softer is needed i have a large amount of dryerlint? My swamp cooler is in the coop pen area should i provide extra beding there as it is sheltered a bit?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My ducks don't use boxes. They do like corners. They like straw as long as it is not moldy. I mostly use pine shavings because the quality is more of a sure thing. But I have used chopped straw, regular straw, pine shavings, dry oak leaves.

A friend of mine uses flax straw for bedding, too.

Just shield her from poo - and maybe a nice watering station - would not have to be very big for just one duck. Here is what I use for a group of three Buffs. It is a (very well cleaned out) high-sided cat litter box, with sawdust pellets to absorb splash.

[​IMG]

This is what I use for the nine Runners and one Buff in the other flock (p.s. I have since combined the flocks and I a so happy).

[​IMG]

The pots are about a foot in diameter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by