Taking Mom and chicks to school ?

DTRM30

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
We just had 4 silkies hatch on the 9th. My son would like to bring them into class on Friday - they will be 9 days old. He's been giving updates all through the past few weeks bringing in photos of the eggs being candled and etc. It would only be for about 10 minutes - do you think it will be too stressful for them ? I have a nice pet carrier and plan to cover it with a sheet during transport. The school is about 7 minutes from my house - so they'd be away from "home" only for about 1/2 tops. I'll be taking mom and the chicks together - she's pretty mellow - except for when it comes to our other silkie who wants to steal the babies from her. (the other hen has been sharing in teaching the chicks and it's starting to confuse them - and started causing fights between the two hens - so had to segregate her - poor thing - she just wants babies - and she clucks to them and shows them goodies and was even calling them to her when she was scratching in some leaves to so them some goodies she found)
Anyway - that's another topic ...

Just curious - Thanks
smile.png

Last edited:
that is what I was thinking - to hold them and let the kids see them - (5th graders) - I was just worried about Momma freaking out - but she's fine with me handling the chicks sooo ...

Thanks ! I always worry about stuff like that ....

I thought it would be really cool for the kids to get to see them after being updated on an almost daily basis LOL
smile.png

I took some to the school this month and things went fine. I got to answer some questions folks didn't know about chickens. Do us all a favor and educate others.

Thanks

Rancher

Yeah, that's true - I never realized how little people know about them until I start talking about them. Plus, to let the kids know that even though they're cute - they grow up to be chickens that need a good home. Not just to get one at the local feed store b/c it's cute and fuzzy and it's only $3.00 ! Then need to find a home for it.

Back
Top Bottom