Taking my chicken to the vet?

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. My entire flock is sneezing and has a runny nose. I had started a thread asking for help but I only got one person to reply and didn't get really any help. I have decided to just take a few of my birds to the vet to get them looked at. Long story short they have lived on play sand and I am thinking that is what is causing this. The vet wants me to bring two birds, one of my younger ones and one of my older ones. However they are different ages and not 100% integrated although they do hang out together more often now. I am going to bring my most docile older hen and then the baby with the worst symptoms which is also the most docile baby. I have a dog crate a smaller one that is darker with cut out holes in it. The vet is 30 minutes away and I take them tomorrow. Would it be ok to put them both together in that? Or no because they are different ages and my baby still gets picked on by the older girls although not as much this older girl as my others. Also if anyone has any care advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you everyone!

Putting them together might be OK, because the strange environment and the moving may keep them too distracted to think about anything else.

But there's still some chance that the big one may pick on the little one. I would recommend separate carriers if possible.

You can use a cardboard box as a carrier (make holes for ventilation.)

I've used a plastic storage tub or garbage can to carry chickens. Put some bedding in the bottom, and cover the top with a piece of chicken wire or hardware cloth or even an old sheet. It just needs to contain the chicken while providing ventilation.

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. My entire flock is sneezing and has a runny nose. I had started a thread asking for help but I only got one person to reply and didn't get really any help. I have decided to just take a few of my birds to the vet to get them looked at. Long story short they have lived on play sand and I am thinking that is what is causing this. The vet wants me to bring two birds, one of my younger ones and one of my older ones. However they are different ages and not 100% integrated although they do hang out together more often now. I am going to bring my most docile older hen and then the baby with the worst symptoms which is also the most docile baby. I have a dog crate a smaller one that is darker with cut out holes in it. The vet is 30 minutes away and I take them tomorrow. Would it be ok to put them both together in that? Or no because they are different ages and my baby still gets picked on by the older girls although not as much this older girl as my others. Also if anyone has any care advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you everyone!

Sorry about your flock.:hugs
How old is the younger one? My main concern would be her getting trampled if she's really small. Other than that, I think it'd be fine.
I'm also dealing with respiratory issues in my flock. I'm currently scheduling testing. I found that adding oil of oregano, ACV, and garlic helped relive some symptoms.
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Long story short they have lived on play sand and I am thinking that is what is causing this.
Nope, play sand is used by plenty of folks and doesn't cause sneezing or runny nose. Respiratory disease is a huge concern!

More likely something to the effect of infectious Coryza, bronchitis, or mc/mg.. mycoplasma. Following links are for review and comparison to what you are seeing..

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

https://www.evolutionfarmvets.co.uk/respiratory-disease-chickens

http://www.veterinaryworld.org/2008/July/Common Respiratory Diseases of Poultry.pdf

Sorry you face this and hope you get some answers! :fl

Depending on where your younger birds came from.. it's possible they had something and shared it when you brought them in.

For me.. unless it's bacterial.. the vet is a not going to be of any help as viruses run their course and do their thing. However if the funds aren't a huge factor then maybe it can help ease your mind and heart. My vet would charge to see both birds costing me at least $100.. to confirm what someone on BYC had suspected. Sometimes, this confirmation is key like when making the choice to put down my dog.. I knew she had a tumor suddenly erupt that causing an issue leading to a sooner end than expected.. but I still spent over $1000.. to confirm the diagnosis/prognosis.. before choosing euthanasia which I KNEW was the right choice but it took that little hint of guilt or doubt that I may have had for the rest of my life away. Working with a vet you can trust and building a relationship with them if you're financially able can go a long way towards making animal and their keeper's lives better! :thumbsup

How old is the younger one? My main concern would be her getting trampled if she's really small. Other than that, I think it'd be fine.
I'm also dealing with respiratory issues in my flock. I'm currently scheduling testing. I found that adding oil of oregano, ACV, and garlic helped relive some symptoms.
My younger one was born June 12th and my older one was born April 30th. I have a probiotic and garlic in their feed as well as brewers yeast. I tried ACV but found that the water acquired a pungent smell after a few days and I didn't think it was healthy for my flock. What testing are you having done for your flock?

My younger one was born June 12th and my older one was born April 30th. I have a probiotic and garlic in their feed as well as brewers yeast. I tried ACV but found that the water acquired a pungent smell after a few days and I didn't think it was healthy for my flock. What testing are you having done for your flock?
Ok, I think they would be fine in the same crate. As NatJ said, the environment change might distract them. It always does when I transport.
Huh, the ACV works fine for me.:idunno

I’m having MG testing done through the state. Fortunately it’s free, as I have a lot of birds.

I tried ACV but found that the water acquired a pungent smell after a few days and I didn't think it was healthy for my flock.
Huh, the ACV works fine for me.:idunno
ACV and those magic fixes you're throwing.. the probiotics are often already included in our feed ration formulations IF we read the ingredients label.

Water left for days is stagnant and stale at best.. if using additives it should be refreshed daily.. This is why things don't work the same for everyone.. there's no consistency between weather and practices.

FYI.. probiotics are essentially 2 bacteria strains having extra added on top of what our body is already producing on it's own.. which is fine when things are out of balance.. One shown to reduce inflammation the other shown to aid digestion.. Our bodies really do work hard to keep things in balance and though we think we are feeding ourselves.. we are actually feeding our second brain.. the gut bacteria.. which then make the bi-products that sustain us. The problem with a little information.. folks don't all comprehend it the same way or put it into practice the same way.

ACV and those magic fixes you're throwing.. the probiotics are often already included in our feed ration formulations IF we read the ingredients label.

Water left for days is stagnant and stale at best.. if using additives it should be refreshed daily.. This is why things don't work the same for everyone.. there's no consistency between weather and practices.

FYI.. probiotics are essentially 2 bacteria strains having extra added on top of what our body is already producing on it's own.. which is fine when things are out of balance.. One shown to reduce inflammation the other shown to aid digestion.. Our bodies really do work hard to keep things in balance and though we think we are feeding ourselves.. we are actually feeding our second brain.. the gut bacteria.. which then make the bi-products that sustain us. The problem with a little information.. folks don't all comprehend it the same way or put it into practice the same way.
Sorry, I didn’t mean it’d cure/fix anything. I add it occasionally to boost the immune system. Personally I find the oregano does help relive symptoms.

Good point. I have a large flock, and have to refill waterers daily, so I should have taken that into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom