Taking my chicks outside????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DebB11, Apr 3, 2011.

1. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    They are approx 3 weeks old. It is going to be about 78 degrees here tomorrow. Would it be ok to take the chicks out for a bit to scratch and forage around in the garden? Or are they too young?

2. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine had been outside on warm days for short periods of time by that age. Just keep in mind once they get a taste of it they will want to go outside everyday, lol. Mine would run and hide from me when they figured out that I was calling them back so that I could put them back into their brooder.

3. DebB11

DebB11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    so even at their young age, it isn't going to hurt them to forage on the ground... just wanna make sure....there are lots of weeds and such in the garden and I am sure a few bugs [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can be sure Mother Hen would have her naturally brooded chicks out on a 78 degree day!!

5. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    That will love it ! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. ryan820

ryan820 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Colorado
    I'd take my peeps outside today as its warm but the wind is up to 30mph sustained gusting to 50. I'd have to take a big net out to catch them in the wind.

7. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We've been having some gusty days too. My chicks still go out. I have 1, 2 & 3 week old chicks and on the windy days they seem to prefer staying in the taller weeds. The only ones not out are the 2 day old polish that I just got yesterday. I would probably lose them if they went out because they are so tiny, lol.

8. hsdiaz

hsdiaz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Quote:I gave my chicks a chunk of dirt from our yard when they were only 4 days old. Put it right in the brooder and they went to town, hunting and eating earthworms, chasing each other around. It was so fun to watch. I just made sure they also had grit, but now they look forward to a new batch of dirt every few days or so.

9. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I have a metal kennel/cage that I put down for them upside down so the big grids are on the dirt. They can hunt and peck all they want but I don't have to worry about losing them.

10. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    The top of my brooder is a wire cage with kind of a litter pan bottom. I put the cage part out, put the chicks in there and let them scratch away while I clean the litter pan part. Makes it easy to round them up since they're contained. Have been doing this on warm days since they were 1 week old and they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by