1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Taking on a new chicken.........I need some help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ponygal12, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ponygal12

ponygal12 Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone!

So as my title says, I'm taking on a new chicken. [​IMG]

My friend has had a very unfortunate experience with these guys. She had about 16-18 chickens and is now left with one. All of her chickens died over the course of many predator attacks.(there still not sure exactly what happened.) One chicken survived them all and that's the one I'm going to get. The pullet's about..... 3 monthsold. She's a pretty feral chicken to......

Okay, so after that breif bio, here's a discription of my set-up and then I'll get to the questions. I have 6 three-month pullets, same age as the chicken I'm taking. They are currently in the coop right now. I was planning on keeping the new pullet in a large enclouser in the garage to isolate her. Now for the questions!!!!!!

I have to isolate her right?

How will I intoduce her to the flock? Should I do it gradually?

I'm worried about some of the fighting that's going to come of this. Any advice?

Um......that's basically it. All advice is appreciated!

Thanks

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    You should quarantine for 30 days as a precaution to make sure she is not sick.

I would then pair her up with a single hen from your flock. Once they are buddies (a few days to a week or so), introduce them together to the flock. That should help her not be so singled out by the big group. If you have a way to confine the pair in the same area as the other girls but with a barrier between them, that would be helpful. They are still young so it should not be horribly difficult [​IMG]

3. ponygal12

ponygal12 Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the help! I think I will pair her up with one pullets............

4. ponygal12

ponygal12 Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Okay, so we have a new problem.

We can't exactly catch the chicken. He's running around wild at my friends house. Any suggestions?

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Quote:Large fish net or wait until she is roosting tonight in the dark.

6. ponygal12

ponygal12 Songster

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    kk

7. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well imo seperate like said 30 days then put the new chicken in a cage so that all the other chickens can see her. Do this for 2-3 days it makes it alot easier to indroduce them without haming the new bird. keep in mind they are chickens and will comence to a pecking order no matter what. As far as not beaing able to catch the bird open a cage and put treats in the cage she will go in tip the cage shut the door should work or wait till night at roost. Good luck:)

8. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:sound advice give her a friend then let them see each other awhile should make it much better . Luck to ya!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: