Taking one last trip to the vet with our old dog today.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WoodlandWoman, Oct 24, 2007.

1. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    This has been coming for awhile. She is in her late teens and has a lot of things wrong with her. We have been avoiding doing this for months, as she has still had a good quality of life, she has just needed more care. In the last 24 hours her body has started to fail, so we are taking her to the vet in a little while.

I feel so bad right now. This is really terrible. I have been trying to act cheerful, like nothing is wrong, to make it better for her.

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    It's impossible to be cheerful. I think that it is too bad we as humans don't have that choice when we start failing. I think it would be nice to be put to sleep rather than suffer through pain and/or the inability to function happily. I've had to have a couple of my dogs put down. Both had cancer. I went back and loved on them while they were being euthanized then went home and cried like a baby. Those pets are our babies.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I'm sorry. I know what that's like. I hope you will take someone with you to the vet. I found out the hard way...don't ever go alone to do something like that, if you can help it.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    :aww

I'm so sorry that you have to face this today. My thoughts are with you and your pup.

5. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    So sorry for your loss.......

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I am trying to write something profound and inspiring, but I can't. I hope you will be okay. I know she will.

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    How difficult for you. You are making the right choice for her. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. I've been there a few times and it's always awful. My dog that died at age 12 a few months ago died at home and I for once didn't have to make that final decision. Bless his heart. Rest well, my Cody.

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear it's always a hard choice I've had to make a few myself.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Well, there is no need to take her to the vet. She has passed quietly away, in her favorite spot, resting between her humans, as my husband gently stroked her little head. Going to the vet was stressful for her and I'm glad that she went so peacefully, feeling loved, at home.

Her name was Teddie and she was a good little dog. We are taking her up to our little clearing in the woods, where our other non-human family members have been laid to rest. Thank you all for being so kind, on such a hard day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by