1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taking out the chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moesmom12, May 10, 2016.

1. Moesmom12

Moesmom12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    Georgia
    So, I have 3 eggs set to hatch out this coming Saturday.[​IMG]

My question is, how old do the chicks need to be before I can put them with my established flock of four consisting of 3 hens and a rooster that are all PBR.

Of course I wont put them out the day they hatch but i dont want them in my house until they are equal in size either! I've researched and I have found so many different answers from 7 weeks to 16 weeks.
    I've heard put them out at night when everyone else is asleep. But not sure how effective that is. I've heard to make a area in which they can see one another but not get to eachother.

Any help would be great!! i do plan to keep the chicks in a rabbit cage in the house until about 6 weeks! Thank you!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It isnt effective.People think their just gonna all wake up thinking "What a normal day....",no their smart and know who is in the flock.

The best way is to see what happens through fence for about fourweeks,then slowly everyday put them in the cage together 15 mins for about two weeks.Then slowly leave them in there at night for a week then let them adapt to the run.Si while everyone else is free ranging,let them stay in.

But if you have a chick aggressive roo things may have to go slower.

3. Moesmom12

Aug 16, 2015
    Georgia
    This is my first ever hatch, so i'm not sure id Lenny The Roo is chick aggressive to be honest[​IMG].
    He is a very docile roo and even easy on my girls!
    Thank you and i will try any method but just throwing them out at night with the others!

4. Moesmom12

Aug 16, 2015
    Georgia
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by