1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taking over the Christmas gift selection?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Nov 18, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What's a nice way to put this? My DH sucks at choosing gifts for his DDs, the SIL and the grandbaby. [​IMG]
    He does good picking out things for me, because I let him know what I would like way ahead of time. This year, my main gift is the new puppy; even though the pup won't be ready for his new home until February. DH has already given me the money for him. [​IMG] Also, I pointed out to him an unusual windchime at Atwoods that I adore.
    That leaves the girls, the SIL and the grandbaby to buy for.
    The GS we can shop for together. That way I can point out to DH that the GS is sooo over sponge bob and has moved on to dragons and dinosaurs.
    I know exactly what his girls would like. DSD #2 needs a new, warm & snuggly bathrobe - her dog ate her old one. Also, she's very much into wolves and I've found a beautiful porcelian wolf totem necklace. DSD #1 has asked for subscriptions to GRIT and Mother Earth News magazines. I'm going to get those for her "just because" and not part of her Christmas gifts. For Christmas I know she would like an excellent cookbook (I'm thinking the Betty Crocker one) and a book on using herbs for medicinal and kitchen purposes.
    SIL's gift would still be up to DH. I haven't a clue on him, because we aren't that close.

How do I convince DH to let me pick out gifts that the girls would really like without it seeming like I am trying to run the whole show? I talk to his girls daily, more so than he can or does and I've gotten a strong sense of their likes and dislikes. For example - his elder DDs name is Mandy, but she prefers it be spelled Mandi and has for many years. She tried changing it while she was still in middle school, but her mom told it that spelling was "trashy". DH never knew her preference until I pointed it out to him last year. The girls just tell me things they are not comfortable with telling their parents.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Just do it. I call my DH while I'm out and say, "Hey I just saw the perfect thing for your mother for Christmas. It's a .......... Should I buy it while it's on sale?" He usually goes for it.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd suggest you just tell him you think his daughters would really like these things for Christmas. Then, if he does not catch on, just say you think his daughters would RREEAALLLLYY like these things for Christmas.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Tell him that the girls have given you hints on what they'd like, and you and DH can go get them together after a nice lunch at (his fav spot here).

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Tell him the girls have given you a LIST of what they want

And then put on there what you are planning!!

Win=Win

6. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    I think that the way you yourself put it is very honest yet tactful. You aren't trying to run the show but since you do talk to them daily, you do have a strong sense of what they want and would like to have. Also, with the way your post was written, he can still participate, i.e., pick out the robe or at least the color, pick out dragons and dinosaur toys, etc. Good luck!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. We talked about it over brunch and he is going to let me decide what to get them and he can just pick out the color of the bathrobe, the grandson's toys and something for SIL. Probably be an insulated lunchbox, that's what he has picked out for SIL the last three years in a row. [​IMG]

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    ha ha.... no no no.... get the sil a pair of house shoes with tread, that way he can go out to get the mail in those if he wants to.

some may not be into house shoes (slippers) but I know plenty of guys that won't walk around on the floor without those or flip flops.

i just like em cuz they keep my feet cozy in the winter... otherwise, i'm mostly a barefoot kinda girl.

hint hint... [​IMG]

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    and first i thought sil was sister in law.... but it's son in law. took me a minute.

10. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    dh hubby buys our girls things he wants and boy stuff(we have girly girls) I give him options and he chooses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by