Taking Patandchickens advice now what?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by llamagirl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. llamagirl

llamagirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    I originally wanted to build a movable tractor like the Chick-N-Barn
    but it is going to be too heavy so, I'm taking Patandchickens advice on making a summer tractor and thinking about a more permanent coop for winter.

About the chicken tractor, I have left over cattle panels on hand the 16 ft. variety. I do use these for my llamas and make summer loafing shelters for them by making hoop houses and covering them with tarps. These would me too big for what I have in mind for three chickens so, what if I cut the cattle panels in two pieces and attached them to a 2x4 frame to make a detachable run. Of course, covering the whole thing with hardware cloth. Here are my questions

1. Would I also need something like field fencing to put over it because of predators? The cattle panels do have the big squares and I have heard a fox can cut through hardware cloth (mine is 20 gauge).
    I plan to cover part of it with a tarp for shade. I would also put a 2 ft skirt all the way around it and weight it down with cement landscape timbers that I have on hand for the digging varmints. The timbers could easily be rolled on and off each time I move the coop.

2. I could just make some sort of light weight box for the coop part and put it on wheels. Anyone got any ideas or pictures?
    I do want to move them around with the llamas for added protection.[​IMG]

2. llamagirl

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    If anyone has pictures, I would appreciate it.[​IMG]

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    go to the coop section on BYC there are a lot of tractors there.
    my coop is a stick building, so I am no help.

4. llamagirl

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    Some stick building! Wonderful coop. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Huh, thread title sounds like the answer should be "bend over, put your head between your knees, and kiss your *ss goodbye" or something similarly smartypants [​IMG]

Yes, look at tractor design pages for design ideas, also you might do a search for tractors in the Meat Birds Etc section of this site as you may find a panel-based one you could adapt for layers.

For sure you'll want to put on something smaller-mesh; 1x1" welded wire mesh (of a decent gauge) would be worth considering if you can ensure chickens will not sleep against the mesh (where they'd be vulnerable to things reaching through) or if you use hardwarecloth for the bottom 2-3' and 1x1 or 1x2 (even 2x4, but that's pushing your luck) mesh on the higher portions.

It'd be a lot easier for your house part ot be an integral part of the tractor, thus only 1 thing to move, than a separate structure; if it *is* a separate structure make sure it is on the outside not inside, and where it "docks" to the pen part needs to latch very, very securely and have a means of shutting off the hole in the pen when you move it with the chickens outside.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

6. llamagirl

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    Thank you oh guru Patandchickens! Not meant to be smart -assed but, did want to get your attention, so it worked. I enjoy your advice to other people as well. I even find myself looking up your posts because you have given me the best ideas while I have been researching this whole coop thing. You also saved me from a lot of mistakes and therefore a lot of expense! I do thank you for that. I don't want any do-overs, just add-ons perhaps. Keep helping us Newbies, we sure need it. I know you have to repeat yourself over and over to people but, we do appreciate your patience and kindness so keep on posting.
    I still like your latch system on your tractor too and may plan to use that idea as well. Thanks again!![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  7. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Quote:Here, here! Thanks Pat [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, glad to be of service [​IMG]

Pat

9. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

bringing up older posts again....sorry.

but just wanted to say that this is more what I am trying to do. More like a portable run than a coop/run/tractor with an area partially enclosed for shade or weather protection. not much more. Something that I can attach to my chicken barn and take out into the yard too. Also thinking that it would be good if it was expandable or could join sections etc. easier to move

anyone seen any ideas on that?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I need to build a few more tractors and I have thought about using my extra cattle panels too. I'm sure that the dog panels would work better but livestock panels is what I have. I thought I would cover them with 1x2 inch wire. They should be really light and thats what I'm looking for. Then I'd just cover with a tarp. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by