1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taking photos of chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buff Hooligans, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Any tips on how to get a decent photo of a chicken? All my photos seem to be of chicken fluffy-butts, or out of focus ones of them running toward the camera because it's shiny.

2. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    umm you could use the children's mode or the sports mode and use a flash to reduce blur. but i dont like flash but the is my opinion because it puts a bluish tint to all of the photos

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have the same problems. I think we can just be thankful we live in digital world and take a million pictures in hopes of a few good ones [​IMG]

4. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    If your camera has macro, that works great.

5. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ya the macro works great!! i love that setting i use it for all close up shots.

I'm taking photography my 10th grade year (coming up soon [​IMG] ) and i have to use a SLR camera an that is going to be a little more challenging [​IMG]

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    What do you have for an SLR??? I just got nikon D80......I am loving it but i should take some lessons on it.

7. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    Macro IS awesome, if they hold still!! i have a speed burst mode on mine so it takes 10-15 shots consecutively, thats worked well for me.

8. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Everything you need to know about 35mm slr cameras
    1)The focal length of your lense determains the minimum shutter speed you can use without a tripod

2) The higher the number of your fstop (apature setting)
    The greater your depth of field (How much your camera can see in focus). If your camera has depth of field preview you can see this in action, if not, you'll have to wait and look at the pictures to see it.

3) Everything else is Art!

There ya go, no need for a class [​IMG]
    Quote:Make noises, whistles or smoochie sounds, to make the chickens look toward you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  9. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ok thanks im taking a class so im going to learn all the ins and outs of the camera and all of the methods it is going to be boring at first but when we start taking pics and developing them its going to be so much fun!!! [​IMG]

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I took alot of photography in highschool, it was alot of fun [​IMG]
    ....Not that you can tell by my pics hahahaa
    Currently useing a rangefinder low end digital :mad:
    Someday I'll get a digital slr [​IMG] suppose that really isnt the correct term for it, but the same idea

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by