Taking tarps off of coop in some places

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gmendoza, Jan 27, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Got chicken chores this weekend.

Taking tarp down to lower half in front and back.Keeping sides on in case of stray rain/snow. I feel my chickens are being spoiled. Kicking ducks out of the coop as well. They need a bath *pu!

Guineas are staing in as well as quail roos. Must make my silkie partition in the run.It will be 4'x4'x7' area for 2 hens and roo-boy.Then clean out their coop and give the bedding to the compost heap.Then get it red-eye for a makeshift brooder and use the black silkie as a surrogate.

Need to clean out the brooder/surrogate coop on the ground for gruesome and the dark cornish chicks comming.Gruesome was a great surrogate momma for the guineas,so she has work still.

Then the original coop needs retrofitted for the broodies.Ill make 5 broody sections in it for my 5 broodies.

Im making a solar pop can heater this weekend to see if it will work for our greenhouse,then transferring it to the greenhouse.

Next is to make a compost tumbler frame out of pine pallet wood.I bought a rotor and a iron axle bar that Im going to weld together to insert into the 55 gallon plastic drum to serve as a wheel to tumble my compost.

Then have to make the redworm bin out of the 55 gallon plastic drum I already cut in 1/2. one has mealworms in it already. I have cardboard already soaking from last rain,shredded paper from paid bills,some tipsoil dirt,and got to get chichen poop and composted pine shavings out of coop and garden for them buggers. Then screen them in and cover them with a saved dumor 50lb bag as a tarp.

all the while drink beer.might get drunk,might not.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wow, a pile of work and 5 broodies to boot. I have a broody pen, about 5'x6', inside my 11'x17' coop. Never had more than one broody at a time, but if I ever get them, they will have to share the broody pen, I'm not about to create separate bedrooms for everyone.

3. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    The broody bedrooms will be made from pvc and screen so they can be folded down and stored in fall. I dont want perm broody rooms,just temp.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:May I veer off topic and ask, how long do the chicks stay in the broody pen? And then what, a growout type pen, or in with the flock?

Mine have mostly been raised in with the flock but my last one is in the broody pen with her 7 chicks, mostly due to a curious cat.

5. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Well the broody pen is 2'x3'long x 2' at the apex since its like a pyramid. Then the mom and chicks stay in there for about a week,then it come off and they have the whole run of the covered run and coop which is 6'x15'long x 6' high. Plenty of grow out room til they get to their 5-6 week,then into the main coop and run which is 12'x24'x7' high,or sold,or freezer camp.

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Tarps are staying in place at our house. When we installed the Tarps we left bottom open all around for air, light etc. There is still much more Winter here and we don't want snow in the runs.

We have an automatic door between the runs and the Barn. Our Silkies go in and out and enjoy all day long.

We NOW plan to leave the tarps in place. When we are away traveling for 4 days or so...we
    will leave our Chickens IN....with plents of food and water. Having lost our Call Ducks flock to
    MONSTERS...we want our Silkies to be SAFE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by