1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

taking the big step -- Hova Bator 1588 help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmergal, Nov 2, 2008.

1. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I think I'm going to take the *big* step of buying a Hova Bator 1588 w/ auto egg turner (with a little help from my family for Christmas). Gosh, I'm so excited, I keep looking at all the darling hatching pictures on this board and getting even more excited...
    For any of you who has this bator (or one like it), I have a few questions:
    *How much effort does incubating take? Would it be okay to be gone for a few days (I'll be visiting my mom at Thanksgiving) or should I wait until after that, so I'm home for the whole incubation period?
    *If I'm going to be gone, when's the best timing? is it better to put the eggs in right before I leave, so that it's still early on in the incubation period?
    *How often do you have to refill the water for the humidifier?
    *Best place to buy a Hovabator? (Anyone have especially good experience with a particular store that had good shipping/help over the phone/price?)

Thanks so much for any help [​IMG] and to all of you wonderful BYCers who feed my chicken addiction with beautiful pictures and stories every day!!

--
    (edited to more specific title)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I really like my 1588 & egg turner.
    I wouldn't go away with eggs in it unless you have someone that can come in & add a little bit of water for humidity. You have to get a humidity guage so you know where you are at with humidity. It does drop especially at night I found. I had to add water everyday, not much but you don't want them to dry out. I would not place eggs in it until you get back home.

I got my Hova-bator thru Home & Barn Basics. They give you a discount for being a memeber of BYC & all you do is put in the code BYC% & you get a 5% discount. They were very friendly & I ordered mine online & it was here within 3 days. I also ordered from them the egg turner & a chicken health handbook. They had the best prices for all of it! [​IMG]

Hope that all helps! [​IMG] Good luck!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got 3 of them.

How much water you'll need to add depends on where you live and where you place the incubator in your house. I keep mine in the basement and with the natural humidity down there I don't have to add much water at all.

I don't like to be gone while I've got eggs in mine either, but if I had to be I suppose early in the process would be better than later.

I got one of mine from Home & Barn Basics and the others from Cutlers Supply.

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I've got one from Home and Barn basics, and another from the manufacturer. I keep them in my basement pantry which has no heating vents, so the temps stay really steady. I find I could add water and leave my bator for a couple of days, no problem as long as the water troughs are full, just make sure the humidity is steady before you leave.

I agree that having them near the early days if you're going to be gone is best because if your humidity gets really low for a day or so early on, you can have a slightly higher humidity through the rest of the time and get on OK. I think the humidity issue (during the first 18 days) is so the air pocket doesn't grow too large or not grow enough--someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's more serious during the last few days because you don't want the sac to adhere to the chick.

Good luck, I really like hatching!

5. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Thanks for the responses! It sounds like Home & Barn basics is the consensus, and I'm thinking I'll just wait until after I get back... esp. as a first time hatcher, I'll probably want to monitor everything constantly anyway. (With my first batch of chicks, I was usually up twice a night, just to make sure everything was A-OK. It's so nervewracking when it's a first time thing!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by