Taking the early steps to become a backyard chicken raiser

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bethwood01, Sep 6, 2016.

1. bethwood01

bethwood01 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    NorCal
    Hi. I've been reading everything I can and watching YouTube videos and searching coops and breeds and everything else for a few days now. Trying to learn all I can and get myself all set up to buy some chicks. Planning to set up a brooder in a pet carrier that we have and trying to figure out what coop to buy. Our city restrictions are: no roosters over 3 months, up to 6 hens over 3 months, and no free-ranging(though it doesn't seem to be hugely strict on the free ranging thing). So I'm wanting a coop/run that can house 3-6 hens with limited free ranging time. The ones I'm currently looking at are the cc-18 raised with two runs from cc only and the 95" deluxe from chicken coop only.

2. bethwood01

bethwood01 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    NorCal
    That should say chicken coop outlet

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from,Kansas, bethwood01, and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Have looked at the BYC Coops page? https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops The coops there range from the basic to the Taj Mahal! The ingenuity and skill of some BYC members is amazing! I wish you luck in your design and construction. :)

4. bethwood01

bethwood01 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    NorCal
    I don't have the ability to build my own coop, don't have the tools for wood cutting, and I'm worried I'll get coop envy. [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Maybe you know a handyman that could build one for you.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. bethwood01

bethwood01 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    NorCal
    I think we are going buy one for now in the $3-$400 range so that we can learn for a while before we sink a lot of money into something and then decide we don't like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by