taking the eggs off the turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickiemom48, Feb 15, 2017.

1. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Hi - I started my hatch 3 weeks ago Friday when I placed the majority of the eggs. I added a little Sat & Sunday and possibly Monday. Should I set them now or wait until Thurs?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry, but I'm a little confused. I can't tell whether you have a really staggered hatch going (a bad idea unless you have multiple incubators) or if you mean you collected the eggs on those days and plan on setting them now? Setting means to start incubating, which is why I am confused. Did you mean to ask whether you should put them in lockdown?

If so you've got a bit of a mess here and that's why you shouldn't do staggered hatching without two incubators. Because you will need to stop turning and boost the humidity for the ones that are ready to enter lockdown, but that means the others aren't getting turned and the humidity is too high for them and their air cells possibly won't grow properly. It will probably be fine but it could end up negatively impacting your hatch.

The other problem is it doesn't sound like you even know for sure when they are all supposed to hatch because you don't even know if you set eggs Monday or not.

1 person likes this.
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    ????? What are you saying?? Do you have them set in a incubator??? Then you are asking if you should set them now or thursday???

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Great reply by Pyxis.......I was confused also.......Sounds like mixed hatch dates but then again I am not certain???

Cheers!

5. newchickiemom48

newchickiemom48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Sorry I meant setting them on the grate. They've been on the turner since three weeks ago this Friday, with additions on Sat. & Sun. I found another post that said it doesn't hurt them to stay on the turner so I think the best option would be to remove the turner and put them on the grate tomorrow afternoon.

6. chickens really

Still confused.....Did you add more eggs during this 3 week time period??
    The older eggs should be ready for lock down if your on day 18.....no need to turn them......

Cheers!

7. chickens really

I finally reread your reply over about 6 times.....i understand now what you did......Yes, lock them down tomorrow...the newer eggs might hatch out good but you have 48 hours between hatching.....

Best of luck....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you are incubating eggs, you should remove the turner on the 18th day, not the 20Th day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by