Taking the lid off during lockdown.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cupman, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have seen many people make references to taking the lid off of the incubator during lockdown and how it can be a disaster for your chicks. What is the science behind this? I am going into lockdown Tuesday and it's my first time so I am just trying to get ready on what to expect. I have 32 eggs left in the incubator so assuming they all hatch it will be over a diverse period of time. Do I just leave the chicks inside the incubator to run around until all the eggs have hatched or died?

2. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    I have no answer for you. I'm learning as much as possible before I set my first batch of eggs. But

How many eggs did you start with? 32 seems pretty good. good luck

Im just hoping the eggs im getting are fertile. I have a relitive that will be visiting from out of town. they're brining me some eggs with them. From someone with 20ish hens and 6 roosters.. The flock is young. Started laying the end of november

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I started with 42. It should be noted, however, 11 of the 42 eggs I started with I found in a "rogue nest." The eggs could have been there for two weeks or two days. Also it was the end of January so the temperatures were dropping into the low 30's every night which could also affect the fertility of the eggs. The majority of the 10 eggs I threw out were from the rogue nest but not all.

Of the 32 eggs left all of them have birds inside. I don't know whether the birds are alive or dead... I'd like to hope I don't have any dead inside their egg but it's always a possibility.

Your eggs should be fertile but sometimes the roosters have a hard time performing. Mine was like a teenage boy with stage fright for months. He got the hang of it, though. You can always check the sticky thread and follow the guide to spot fertile eggs. Crack a few open and see. I know when a rooster mates with a hen it's like charging her battery, so to speak. For the next week or so after mating every egg she produces should be fertile. When I started gathering I had 11 hens and 1 rooster and I had pretty good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by