Taking the splash!

duckduckturkey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Hi!

Decided to finally add ducks to the back yard. I'm thinking small and friendly as my ponds are not that big. (A couple of old hot tubs and bath tubs.)

I'm trying to decide between Magpies, Wood, and Muscovies, though open to others. What is the current theory on good small ducks? Oh, and quiet, we have neighbors who would care about noise.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ducky

Muscovies are not small and wood ducks are wild ducks and have to be completely confined or they will simply fly away.

That leaves you with Magpies, who are lovely ducks with nice personalities.

I agree with the others muscovy are anything but small.. my 7+week olds are quite large already, but they are pretty quiet
wink.png

I LOVE my Magpies. I have 3 females and one male. They are fun, adorable but not quiet. My females can be quiet loud when they see me and are looking for treats. They can be quiet but just a heads up if you are looking for a duck that does not make any noise...the females are not that duck! LOL

My apologies, I must have misread the information. I thought muscovies were small.

So, is it between Magpies and Cayugas then? Looking for the perfect duck!

Thanks!

Ducky

I highly recomend Indian Runners! My pair are the quitest out of all of my ducks and tolerate being held the best. Not to mention they're extremely elegant lookings, good foragers, and fun to watch!

Back
Top Bottom