Talapia....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by prairiegirl, Aug 1, 2008.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Good morning.

We were given some frozen talapia fish. I've never cooked fish like this. Most of the fish we've had has been what we've caught.

Please share any recipes and tips on cooking this.

Thanks a bunch.

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    It is a very mild and flaky fish and is wonderful. I have battered it with a fish fry batter and fried it. I have also just drizzled Italian salad dressing on it and baked it and you can grill it with alumnion foil on the grill. Hope this helps.

3. krackerhill

krackerhill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Florida
    We season with lemon pepper and butter, wrap in foil and grill.

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Add some garlic powder & paprika to Bisquick and roll moistened fish fillets in it. You can fry it or bake it this way. Yummy!

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Here's what I did last night. It's really easy and tastes WONDERFUL.
    (even if I do say so myself. [​IMG] )

4 Tilapia Fillets (fresh if you can get it)
    olive oil
    salt & pepper
    zest of 2 large lemons
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 lemon sliced into wedges
    4 large garlic cloves -- pressed (4 to 6)
    Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    dried thyme
    2 tbsp capers

Drizzle a bunch of olive oil into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Lay
    tilapia fillets in the pan, and roll around in the oil until they are
    completely covered. Lay lemon wedges decoratively beside the fish.

In a small bowl, combine zest & juice, garlic & a little bit of olive
    oil.

Salt and pepper the tilapia. Divide the garlic/lemon mixture among the
    4 fillets and rub into each fillet.

Sprinkle each fillet with a little bit of crushed red pepper (depending
    on your taste) and a pinch of thyme. Rub into fish.

Finally, sprinkle capers over all, and drizzle with a little more olive oil if
    needed. (go easy on the capers if you don't eat them regularly, they are little salty for some people)

Preheat to 400 degrees (on convection if you have it) and bake fish for 12-15 minutes until fish is flaky and opaque but still juicy **do not turn ** . Squeeze roasted lemon wedges over fish just before serving.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  6. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    I rub with olive oil, and season with garlic, salt, pepper, sage, and lemon, leave the skin on, and grill directly on the grill (no aluminum foil needed when grilling skin side down). No turning, usually done in about 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick the filets are.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Make a warm ragout of sauteed halved cherry tomatos, sliced red onion and rice wine vinegar. Slop them altogether and serve on top of sauteed tilapia. I don't like tomatos or red onion, but this recipe is sublime, and it's our favorite way of having tilapia.

(From Everyday Food magazine, a while ago.)

8. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    For easy Tilapia in my household, we take thin frozen fillets, put in microwave casserole dish with cover, cover the fish in fresh tomatoes, fresh or canned mushrooms, green onions, dill or desired seasoning, and butter. Cook on high in microwave for about 20 minutes.

Fish comes out tender in a yummy sauce with steamed like veggies. It's also flexible in that you can add whatever vegetable you want, pretty much, except for maybe carrots and potatoes which would take too long.

9. chickymama25

chickymama25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    My hubby absolutely loves Tilapia pan fried in lots of butter with onions, sometimes green peppers, and garlic powder and some garlic salt. Very simple and very good! Just cook the onions and peppers a few minutes before you add the fish since the fish cooks so quickly. If the pan is good and hot, the fish gets slightly browned and crispy. Mmmm....our favorite fish!

10. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Talapia and creole seasoning and a bit of fresh butter.
    Yummmmmmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by