Tales of a Tiny Farm.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by campbell5, Mar 9, 2015.

1. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hello, all! My husband (henceforth referred to as Rooster Man or Lumberjack Joe if I'm feeling spunky) and I started upon a chicken journey about a year ago. Our flock of 30 chickens is ever growing and we've now added 6 ducklings to that number. All of this, of course, comes after a few months of thinking we knew what we were doing, a bit of elbow grease, and quite a few tears.

You see, Miss Darlin' (yes, I picked my own AKA), didn't quite do so well when we got a flock of half ill chicks that passed shortly after we got them home in their new brooder. And Miss Darlin' did even worse when a wild dog knocked out the other half while the Campbell Crew was out grocery shopping.

A year and much reading later, we are much more confident in our abilities and our happy chickens now reward us with their happiness .... and eggs of deliciousness.

I'm sure you'll see me about, being bubbly and offering bits of my own experience, and asking mountains of questions. I'll also be posting stories (good and bad - you were warned) and pictures of the Tiny Farm here.

Love and Fluff,

Miss Darlin'

2. Campbellfarm

Campbellfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Central, Arkansas
    Mr Rooster here.
    We will start with our first coop. Our Pallet coop. Made out of about 8 Pallets, some nails, screw, and some aluminum roofin we had laying around.
    "Miss Darlin helping out"
    [​IMG]

"Miss Darlin" Modeling off her fancy coop skills!
    and little Darlin trying to figure out why mommy is in the coop.

[​IMG]

One of three pest control! Working hard there Meeka! Workin hard!

[​IMG]

Yep still workin!

[​IMG]

Coop finished right before nightfall. Well so I thought...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cedar Roost

[​IMG]

"Big Momma" & "Little Momma" Red Sex Link
    R.I.P. (attacked and killed by stray dog)
    Checking out there new home.

[​IMG]

"Fingers" checking out the roost.
    (also attacked and killed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our Silkies the one on the bottom is still alive and is one tough chicken has been attacked twice and has lived to laying age now. she is called "Fluffy" she has a poof ball on her head kinda like a sultan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. Campbellfarm

Jun 9, 2014
    Central, Arkansas
    Our new arrivals on 01/08/2015
    Started with 5 Barred Rocks, 4 Cornish Red Laced, 4 Milli Fluer, 4 Blued Silkies, 1 Naked Neck Milli Fluer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Few weeks later:

Barred Rock Roo

[​IMG]

Cornish Red Laced and a Blued Silkie

[​IMG]

Miss Darlin with her bird "Heartsy"

[​IMG]

2 Milli Fluer Roos, Blued Silkie, Barred Rock Hen, Cornish Red laced

[​IMG]

And "Neck" named after our 3 yr old lol. Naked Necked Bowtie Milli Fluer

[​IMG]

My bird "Pretty Girl" Milli Fluer

[​IMG]

2 of the Blued Silkies.

[​IMG]

4. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Very good, Rooster Man.

Here are the ducklings enjoying their bath. (Added 02/07/15)
    [​IMG]

And our newest brood of 9 Red Sex Links, 3 Rhode Island Reds, and 2 Buffs. (Added 03/06/15)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  5. Campbellfarm

Jun 9, 2014
    Central, Arkansas
    Some pictures of our 3.5 acre Farm "to be"

I have some work cut out for me this spring. Clearing land and prepping it for a mini farm.

[​IMG]

Good flowing creek to have run into a pond for the ducks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Meet "Lacy." We call her that because we aren't really sure if she is a she. "Lacy" has been quite a puzzle since we got her between 4-5 months of age last Fall. She hasn't started laying, she stays away from the other chickens, and generally just seems to be a moody bird. I posted yesterday asking if anyone knew her breed and someone mentioned that she might be "egg bound." So, what did Miss Darlin' do? I conned her with mealworms and brought her inside to check her out. "She's" not egg bound, I'm pretty sure she is a Roo. But guess what else!?

We have lice. [​IMG] Wait until Rooster Man hears about this.

7. Campbellfarm

Jun 9, 2014
    Central, Arkansas
    Cornish Red Lace after being moved outside investigating the outdoors first.
    [​IMG]
    Feeding the Flock.
    [​IMG]
    Building the Duck Pen.
    [​IMG]
    Ducks enjoying a cool dip in there new pool on the first warm day in a week.
    [​IMG]

8. Campbellfarm

Jun 9, 2014
    Central, Arkansas
    Rooster Man Jr. Enjoying our new chicks. Isa Browns from TSC.
    [​IMG]

9. Campbellfarm

Jun 9, 2014
    Central, Arkansas
    So we were starting to get worried one of our layers just suddenly stopped laying and had not laid for a week. Well today I happen to be in the workshop/shed and I hear her call from the carport part of the shed were all my lumber sits. When I came out to investigate she came strutting out. So I was curious and had gone in following little chicken tracks in the dirt. And stumbled upon this.
    [​IMG]

10. campbell5

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Well, it's been a while since I updated, our little farm has been busy and continuing to grow. We've added a pair of Cayuga's, two more silkies, and three Easter Eggers.

We've also added this guy -
    [​IMG]
    I've taken to calling him Peabody. Rooster Man doesn't approve.

And our sweet Sultan, Fluffy has been broody and today, it happened! Baby one of three hatched out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These babies are adopted by our Sultan but their mom is a Black Australorp and dad is a Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by