1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tales of Residential Urban Chicken Keeping from Hickory Hill

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Brooke215, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Brooke215

Brooke215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    Since I'm back to raising chickens again after about 5 years of moving and renting, I thought I'd make a thread to chronicle the adventure. We own our home now, here in central VA (gardening zone 7a). I do have an HOA to contend with though, so that will certainly impact the decisions I can make with our little family flock.

My sweet DH brought me some local eggs for eating, and when I noticed that they were fertile I couldn't resist the urge to set them. I have 2 DS and one sweet DD. We have a few family pets, including a shi-tzu mix we rescued, a 3 legged turtle (another rescue), a guinea pig, and two hamsters. My incubator is a picture view hovabator and has the awful wafer heating, but it's served me well in the past and came out of storage as good as it went in. I have a dozen of the mystery brown eggs in the bator due 10/29.

We had chickens for a couple years before my hiatus. I had Silkies, Cochins, and EE before. This time, I would ideally love to have a Dominique. My papaw (great granddad) used to keep them and I have a sense of nostalgia about that breed in particular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    It's day five and I candled to see if I could see any development. I couldn't see much. Six of the 12 have definite air sacs and the other half looked pretty clear. They are dark eggs though, so I'm going to attempt to control my curiosity and candle them next at day 10 when I should know for sure. [​IMG]

3. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    Why is it so hard to leave them alone? These days are dragging, and I'm so excited to see what's developing.

4. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    I peeked, and nothing. Still no development whatsoever. I think they were messed up from being refrigerated before I got them. They were meant for eating, not hatching after all. I won an auction for some Barred Rock eggs. I only need a few chickens so the 5+ order was perfect for me.

5. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    It's day 10 and all five eggs are developing! it's hard to see the details in a photo but all are doing well. I'm impressed since I ordered the eggs online and two were broken in shipping[​IMG]

6. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    When I candled at day 14 I noticed one of the five eggs has a very misshapen saddle type air cell. It is still moving and developing, so I'm hoping that it will hatch okay. One week to go. [​IMG] Edited to include the picture above. The upper left and lower right eggs are the ones with the saddle shaped air cells. My plan is to do a carton hatch to give them the best chance to hatch on their own. If not, I am reading through the assisted hatch thread. Edited again to add a candling pic from day 14. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  7. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA
    Good luck to your hatch. I just lost my flock due to moving, so I know how bad does it hurt. Hopefully, I'll be able to restart my flock next year.

8. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop

Thank you! Update me when you get the chance to start your flock back up

9. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    I just got back from the feed store to get supplies for the hatch. I think some divine providence was involved because chick feed was buy one get one free :) I'm getting everything set up because they'll hatch while I'm gone travel nursing. My MIL is staying at the house (she lives with us) so don't worry, if I'm lucky enough for a good hatch they'll be well cared for. I'll be back in time to assist the two with the saddle shaped air cells if they need it. Lockdown late Sunday night...[​IMG]
    I should also mention this is a temp setup in case I get early hatchers, when I get back they'll be going into a pack n play. It'll be more than enough room for 5 or fewer chicks to start off in.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. Brooke215

Oct 11, 2016
    Central VA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two of the five have hatched :) today is day 22. One of the saddle shaped air cells hatched upside down. I think I'll name her 11 (I'm a big stranger things fan). Hopefully the other three hatch today. Both of these chicks have a definite stripe on their heads, so if that holds true they should both be hens. The only issue with the hatch so far is that both hatched with some underdone eggshells. I'll need to do some research and find out why that is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by