Talihina, OK

krazykat0373

Songster
11 Years
Oct 2, 2012
Southeast Oklahoma
Hi fellow okies,

I am new to BYC and have learned a lot, and seen a bunch of interesting posts in the few days I have been coming to the site.
woot.gif

My name is Kat. I am a mother of 5, a grandmother of 2 and have been happily married to DH for 21 years. We moved here from Ocala, FL in 2005 and would never dream of leaving.
Last year I went in with a friend of mine and bought some royal palms from a hatchery. I kept 6 of them and out of those I had only one hen survive. After she was a good size, we just let her free range 24/7 with her roosting on the window A/C at night. She turned out to be quite the pet, coming in the shop with DH and supervising the repairs on our vehicles, sitting on his lap when he would take a break. I think hubby has a girlfriend. LOL. Anyways, around Feb. she came up missing, and we figured maybe something got her. One day hubby walked out to our totally empty coop (never went there cause we had no birds other than Phyllis and she stayed around the house) well, there she was, in a plastic barrel that had been cut in half, setting on 25 eggs!!! I was amazed, and felt bad for her, knowing she had laid all those eggs and was setting for nothing cause without a tom, I knew the eggs weren't fertile. So I called up my friend and asked if she would sell me some of her turkey eggs, well to make a long story a little shorter....

I now have 10 turkeys, 7 Royal Palms, 3 of which are toms, 2 Blue Slates: 1 tom & 1 hen, and one mixed hen, which I think is a royal/bourbon or bronze cross. I also have a love for Rhode Island Reds, which I have 9 of....1 rooster and 8 hens, and was given two of the ugliest chickens I have ever seen....2 turkens. cant wait to get an incubator, or for spring when the turkeys will set, so I can see what a Rhode Island Turken looks like. LOL. Included in our menegerie are 2 ducks, A Cayuga drake and a Muscovy hen, 7 California/New Zealand cross rabbits, 5 horses and our Dachshund "Bug"

Have a good un.......

Kat

Back
Top Bottom