1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Talk about a dark horse!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bramblefir, Aug 15, 2014.

1. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Our current flock is 20 weeks old today and we have been watching a couple of our most developed pullets very closely. Lizzy Leghorn was our first pullet to develop and has the largest, reddest comb of anyone. Her pelvis has spread to nearly 3 fingers wide and we were expecting her to lay first.

[​IMG]

Up second is Gloria, who also has a large, red comb and has been squatting for the cockerels for awhile now.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, we got our first egg

[​IMG]

from Dottie the Speckled Sussex who only very recently started developing her comb. She was not even in the "race" as far as we were concerned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She was out scratching in the run, made a strange noise, and went running into the coop. A few minutes later when I had finished cleaning the run I went into the barn to clean the coop. She was in one of the nest boxes busily putting straw and hay on her back. The dominant cockerel came in and stood by the box while she made sounds that I can only describe as a cross between a cat purring and a coffee pot brewing (none of our previous flock ever made a sound like it). Eventually nearly every bird in the flock came into the coop from ranging across our 10 acres and hung out with her while she sat (they also joined her in her egg song). We left her to it and came back awhile later to find a small brown egg in the box. We were not expecting her to be our first layer at all!

And here's what we found when we cracked it open:
    [​IMG]

I find it really interesting that only the left yolk was fertilized (the bullseye is hard to see, but it's on the upper left side of the left yolk). The cockerels have obviously been busy.

Have any pullets surprised you and laid before their more developed flock mates?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on that first egg :ya :ya and it is a double! Cool! Interesting that it was the Sussex who laid it, mine have usually been on the slower side among the breeds. My hatchery birds have been pretty predictable, though I have had the occasional really early EE that surprised me.

3. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks! She's laid two more eggs since - they are much smaller than the first. Lizzy Leghorn has been singing the egg song a lot the last couple of days, so she may join in soon too (knock on wood).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by