Talk about a Scary moment....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrystol, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well I have 23 chicks that are due today, 16 of them are out, 6 are peeping and have cracks, one is the loose air cell, Nothing was happening, I candled him nothing, I cracked him opened and apparently he quit on me, His beak was very short, he had a fully developed head but didn't make it.

So that makes my count down to 22. It's surprising that I have that many, I put water in there bowl last night, a corner of the napkin was in the water and sucked it up like a sponge, the whole bottom of the incubator was drenched, the humidity was up to 90 temp went down to 88 I freaked. So I took everyone out, put them in my second incubator, cleaned out the "lockdown" incubator, I know, I know your not suppose to open the incubator at Lockdown. But I figured I had two choices, leave it alone and hope for the best, and possibly lose all of them from drowning. Or do a quick clean up to get the temp and humidity back to normal and hope no one shrinked wrapped and pray for the best...

I chose option two and I'm glad to say right now I have 16 baby silkies. i'm also proud to say no one shrinked wrapped and the other 7 are in the process of coming out right now. WHEWWWWW. Talk about scared to death...

2. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    good job, I can wait till my chicks start having chicks, I have a while since they are still only 5 weeks lol

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    PICs please

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If your humidity has been good throughout the incubation and the eggs have lost the correct amount of moisture by day 18, a high lockdown humidity really won't cause them to drown. My lockdown humidities have often reached 85% and even 90% on one occasion, when it sat there for over a day. I've never lost a chick to drowning.

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I didn't want to take the risk, because from what I understand, once they peep that's when the drowning can occur. But needless to say, i have two more left to come out, as soon as they join the 20 others, I will most definitely get pictures. I have a lot of partridge, was hoping for a lavender but don't think I'm gonna get on this round. But that's OK I have 24 more coming and more in the second incubator.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Here they are all 21. Two of them didn't make it, out of the two, one was an experience egg. He had a loose air cell from the beginning and sometime down the road he quit developing, he had a very small beak and a small head. The other one that didn't make it, pushed himself out of the egg a little to soon, lost a lot of blood, I tried to stop it but he had lost to much. So that brings my total from 23 down to 21 and here they are::::The redness is from there heating lamp, they were not happy when I turned it off to take some pictures.. Don't mind the little green spots, apparently they are already feeling comfortable in there new home....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by