Talk about jumping to conclusions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgan7782, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have been going back and forth with a local lady about some BLRW she has for sale, and I hadn't heard from her since Monday. Tonight I found a craigslist ad regarding some hens and I responded, turns out it was the lady I had been trying to get a hold of. I had gotten worried she changed her mind about selling them, and I would miss my chance.

Luckily she still has the standard pullets I want, but somehow missed my last call/message. She is only holding them until Thursday, and I will be picking them up in Loomis, CA, about 40 mins from here. I think I will have to keep them in my brooder tub until I get my new coop, they are about 2 1/2 months old. How much room do 10 weekers need? It should only be for a night or two, but I only have one coop at the moment which my two 12 week old pullets are inhabiting. My brooder tub is 49 gallon rubbermaid. These new girls are off extra heat, so won't need any special set up but do you think 4 10 week old wyandottes will be alright in a brooder tub for a night or two? Thanks for any info.

Also if anybody has any tips for a quick put together temp coop I can keep inside until I get my new coop please do post [​IMG] I am determind not to let the chance to get these girls by [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is a picture of one of the girls I am hoping to get!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=363302

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Not sure if this will work for you but my hubby screwed together a quick framework based on the sizes of this green plastic lattice we had laying about. We had 6 sheets. A bit of hardware cloth and the lattice and we had a pretty nice temp coop in roughly 2 hours.

We put a medium sized dog house that we was not in use for shelter and put them in a grassy shady spot. The coop can even be moved if need be.

3. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I had a chick hatch on me when I was least expecting it. I took an old extra large storage tub and put some bedding on the bottom. Then put in a hamster waterbottle and a thermometer. I put a aquarium screen on top of the tub and put a heat lamp on top of it. Then covered the top with a towel for extra warmth. You can move the towl for more or less heat. It worked great for me.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I think they will be fine for a day or 2, battery hens live their whole lives in waaaaayyy worse conditions, and yours will be getting a nice new place very soon.

Congrats on your find! I live in the same area as you (Auburn) lucky you found them first!! I wouldnt have minded having a few of those, they are so pretty!

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:[​IMG] these pullets I am getting are 10 weeks old and off heat, I have to figure out a way to house four 10 week old pullets somewhere until I get my new coop hopefully sometime this weekend. And probably in the house seeing as I need to quarantine them from my current flock.

Thanks for the tips though! Great idea's all [​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Hello from Sac! The lady I am going through has 7 bantam BLRW pullets for sale as well. And I will be rehoming 2 of the 4 I am getting. I am getting more so I have a choice, and just in case of a roo. Want me to keep you updated? If I have 4 pullets I will be finding homes for 1 Blue Wyandotte and 1 BLRW pullets. [​IMG]

Also if anybody can check out the thread in my original post I am trying to find out what color/gender they would be. I have a picture of one up so far. Thanks [​IMG]

7. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    Quote:[​IMG] these pullets I am getting are 10 weeks old and off heat, I have to figure out a way to house four 10 week old pullets somewhere until I get my new coop hopefully sometime this weekend. And probably in the house seeing as I need to quarantine them from my current flock.

Oops. I thought you said 10 day old pullets. Silly me. [​IMG]

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA

Oops. I thought you said 10 day old pullets. Silly me. [​IMG]

No worries! [​IMG] I have done that plenty of times. Good information about the new babies though [​IMG] thanks for the tips, someday I hope to get new babies again hehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by