Talk Ducky To Me!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuackerJackFarms, Jun 27, 2011.

1. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Ok, I keep reading all these posts and it triggers questions. So I'll start a post to talk about anything! Here are some of the things I'm wondering...

When do Mallards start laying eggs?
    Are they good "setters"? ( I think you guys are all using the term "Brooders")

We'll start there.

2. Feather Lady

Feather Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Auburn, Maine
    I can't help you but I would like to know the answers too! I have one Mallard duck [​IMG]

3. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Are they good "setters"?

They should be

4. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Maybe be some more people will come along and answer us! This is a great forum for that.

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you put your TRIGGER words in the SEARCH in the top right corner, you will get post after post of answers for all your trigger words.
    I once told somebody else to use it to and as they put it...I cant be bothered looking thru all the posts. Hopefully you will, you learn more the more you read. [​IMG]

6. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I had 6 mallards. One went broody and became one big cramp! The hens started laying randomly in about 6 months, although the first eggs had soft shells and broke.

Before the first became broody, they seemed to lay anywhere and kicked them around like soccer balls. Once the brood mistress got broody, she sat on them. After 20 plus days, SHE decided to kick them out of the nest one by one. None hatched.

7. QuackerJackFarms

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks for the feedback.

And the search advice for trigger words.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by