1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Talk me out of a Silkie, please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SouthernAlberta, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    For now I can only house 2 or 3 hens. Four will be my max. My intention is to have egg producers. I think I've selected a Buff Orpington and a Wyandotte. I could squeeze in a Silkie. I've been offered one at an awesome price. Do I need a Silkie? Is there an advantage of having another body to warm up a coop? I know they are pretty but Hubby thinks that Silkies are "useless" for us. Thoughts?

2. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Hey "near Lethridge" gal!! Having lived in Lethbridge as a child I recall we had some rather chilly winters (although the occasional Chinook made it bearable). Silkies would do fine in cold weather with proper shelter, free from drafts. They make great broodies, so if you want to hatch out some eggs from your other breeds they'd be a big help. They do tend to get picked on by larger breeds, so that's something to worry about, though. You probably won't want to eat any offspring -- that black/bluish skin is tough to stomach, so this would simply be eye candy. If you don't mind paying for another mouth to feed I say go for it. Just be warned: Silkies are addicting!!! LOL

Is the Pilsner Brewery still open, by any chance? I remember driving by it as a child and thinking it looked cool. :)

3. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Personally my silkies did not do well with standard size girls. They were picked on alot. As for egg production I get between 4 and 5 a week in the spring - fall. I got zip in the winter.

4. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Silkies are definitely addicting! I now have only silkies,whites,blues and partridge..and they are by far the BEST chickens I have ever had,and make fabulous pets,and great eye candy!! I thoroughly enjoy this breed :))

5. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Sorry for not coming back to my thread. For some reason I thought no one had replied. Silly me!

Lethbridge Pil was bought by Molson... and then shut down in the early 90s. There is a garden there now, on the side of the hill. I think the space needs a chicken coop. [​IMG] http://www.worldweb.com/Uploads/PhotoGallery/file-10-7239-file_image.jpg

Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't want birds that don't produce in the winter.

6. srmoss

srmoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    suffolk UK
    i got 3 sussex buffs and 2 lil white silkies and sometimes the silkie eggs are bigger than the buff eggs. they lay regular are great as brooders and seem quite tame, they like to be stroked well mine do. your choice at the end of the day but they are no trouble and easy on the eye
    .[​IMG]

7. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Beeliz and Srmoss, your birds are adorable!

8. srmoss

srmoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    suffolk UK
    just a quick update on my silkie mums the chicks are a few weeks old now and we moved them back with the buffs. they seem fine and are very inquizative lil buggers. pic was taken at 1 week old.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by