Talk to me about a fair trade for hatching eggs please

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
14 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
I have posted locally looking for hatching eggs to try out my new incubator. I'd love to fill it to try it out. ;-)

I posted in several places, but also offered a trade, i.e I incubate for someone and get some of the chicks. What is fair, half and half or something different? I'll be using my electricity, gas to pick up the eggs (they'd likely pick up their portion of the chicks), candling, keeping regular e-mail contact about what's going on (candlings, how many are fertile, how many lay down for hatching, how many hatch, etc.). I've requested any type of poultry and will even do mutts, caveat being that they cannot leave me with only cockerels (if they can sex them) nor only mutts if they have me hatch out mutts and pures.

What sounds fair to you? Ideally, I'd rather just buy outright, but with finances as they are right now, I'd love to barter and would love to help someone else get chicks that may not have that oppurtunity otherwise.

If you pay for the shipping, which is about $10, I can send you some mutt eggs for free. I've got white leghorns, brahmas, RIReds, NHReds, welsummers, black stars, and easter eggers in with two Americauna roosters (one red/black, one white/black). Whatever hatches will be colorful for sure, and will probably lay green or blue eggs.

How many eggs are you looking for?

Kathy in Texas

Thanks Kathy ~ I really appreciate the offer. The temps have been so up and down right now, I am afraid to have any eggs shipped in for fear of getting a box of frozen, cracked eggs.

Also, for now just wanting to try local so I will have less things to pin point and won't have to worry as much about them losing fertility in shipping.

Thanks so much for the offer, though!
big_smile.png

Okey, dokey.

Try posting "wanted" ad on Craigslist if you want to just buy them outright. Many people around here sell eggs for $3 a dozen, so I suspect that's what you'll find there too. Just tell them you want fresh, unrefrigerated eggs.

I sometimes search for "hatching eggs" on Ebay too and then sort the results by "nearest first." Then you can email the seller to see if they'll sell you eggs outside the auction. I've done that with several people in my area, who were happy to let me pick up the eggs.

Good luck!

Kathy in Texas

I have put on ad on craigslist and offered outright buy or the trade, as well as on several local chicken and buying yahoo groups.
smile.png

I know a farmer that sells eggs $2/flat, but I need to talk to him and see if he'd be willing to sell some to me for hatching.

Where in NC??? I live near charlotte and could get you some eggs... That is if you want them I have RIR, while leghorn, gold bantam Cochins, and a couple of araucanas... Just let me know...

Back
Top Bottom