Talk to me about chick grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by konachicks, Oct 30, 2014.

1. konachicks

konachicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have starter chick feed and chick grit. Do I mix them? How much and how do I incorporate it into their feed? Thanks in advance, y'all are such a wealth of knowledge[​IMG]

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    If all you're feeding is chick feed, you shouldn't need grit at all. But as you're gonna be tempted to give them treats (just like the rest of us), having a dish of chick grit out "free choice" is a good idea. I also mixed a bunch in to the dust bath tub I made for mine (I swear, they spend all their time in their scratching and pecking).

3. konachicks

Haha @HighStreetCoop ya I'm sure I'll be spoiling them rotten and giving treats! So just a small dish alone will be ok? That's super easy! Thanks!

4. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Yep. I have it in a medium size ramekin. They pick at it, but mostly I think they're picking it out of the dirt bath.

5. konachicks

Haha! That was going to be my next question. What size of a dust bath do chicks need and what do you put in it? Dirt? Lol I'm new to this obviously

6. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I'm using an 8 qrt rubber feed bowl. It has a mix of dirt from yard, chicken grit, some wood ash from the fire pit, and a little DE. It's about 1/4 full.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I use chick feed and no grit....but tonight for my 6 chicks I gave them a single boiled egg and sprinkled grit in the bowl with the egg. I had a runt that wasn't doing to hot and decided to give them one egg so they could get the extra protein...and I believe it has worked. Pepped up quite a bit! [​IMG] I just hope they consumed some of the grit

1 person likes this.
  8. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    With just boiled egg, they don't require the grit. It won't hurt them to have some, but you don't have to worry if some ate egg but not grit. I like to give finely chopped boiled or scrambled egg to my babies for an energy boost too.

9. konachicks

[​IMG]
    Lol when we first got them home a bit ago we took them into my fenced off old garden area and they made their own dust bath lol

10. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by