Talk to me about fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cupman, Dec 21, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have this coop built, it's 10'x12' and it's essentially finished. I am now at the stage in the game where I need to build a fence. Here's my problem: I'm a broke college kid. I was thinking of doing chain linked fence but that is a little more pricey than I was hoping for. My only predator in the area is raccoons. My plan is to construct a fence and then run hot wire electric fencing around the outside of the fence at 2 or 3 varying heights so nothing crawls over. My run is going to be big, 1500 square feet or more, so covering it is not an option. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what to do for a good sturdy fence that is on the cheaper side. I was hoping to make the fence at least 5 feet tall.

Thanks.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I really don't see you reaching your goal of a cheap fence. I do hope you do hope you achive it in college, but a cheap fence or run that is predator proof just won't happen. You only have a coon problem but that one coon will clean you out. I don't have an anwser for you on this but do have a suggestion you won't like. Just wait till you can afford what you need. To try to do it on the cheap will only get your your chickens killed. You'll feel bad, the chickens will be dead and you'll have to start all over again.

Just wait.[​IMG]

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Another suggestion: Build an enclosed, secure run area for now that your chickens can be safe in and run electric around that. Later, when you have saved more money, add on a larger run that is not secure but that will keep the chickens in the area you want. Any time your chickens are out without you there to run interference from predators, you may lose some. You may even lose some if you are out there. It all depends on how much you are willing to risk.

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I can afford to build a fence, I just can't afford to build a wall like Osama Bin Laden had around his compound. There are varying prices on fences, to suggest all your animals will die if you don't buy the most expensive is just silly. Raccoons take what they need, they won't wipe an entire flock out at once. A dog, maybe. My coop is secure at night, I just need a secure pen during the day and because the only predator I have are raccoons it seems silly to spend a fortune on a fence. I was looking for more ideas along the lines of people using horse fencing or things of that sort.

5. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

never underestimate a raccoon.

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    2x4 welded wire is about the least expensive and sturdy fencing.
    [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with the 2x4 welded wire - it's reasonably priced and sturdy. That's what's on our run. Now, we just have field fence (smaller openings toward the bottom, larger as you go up) around our yard/property, and my birds stay inside that when they're free ranging...which is mostly what we do here. Either of those wire types work with wooden posts or the green metal posts. The key is that you shut them inside a secure place at night, and you said you do that already [​IMG]

8. eick61161

eick61161 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I have a three strand electric fence around mine. I got all the supplies at TSC for, I guess around 50 60 dollars. Fiberglass step in poles, a $25 fence charger, and poly cord. I let them free range all day they scoot under the fence their back touches it but they don't seem to mind, but they dont linger either. I don't get home from work till 9pm most nights so it's been dark for 4 hours the chicken are all in the coop when I get home. Nothing has come through the fence yet to get them, I know I'm taking a chance, but that's what I do, and so far so good.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Speaking of Bin Laden's fence, as stout as it is a way was found to scale it and kill the dude. Same with the chicken run. It's it's not complete, a way will be found to scale it.

Now that you say you're not broke and can afford to build a fence. As has been stated the 2X4 welded wire is you best bet. But then that should be overlaid on the bottom 2 feet with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Then decide what you want to do to stop the digging under the run. I used a American Kennel dog run for my chicken run. 2X4 wire and will last forever. I feel very safe with it. Not sure because I haven't compared prices, but I would think the treated wood needed and the wire needed would almost cost the same or similar. Then the labor to do the work and dig the holes. This kennel has done a fine job for me.[​IMG]

10. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Craigslist. There are several categories to look under besides Farm & Garden. Try 'Materials' and 'Free.' At least in our area, which has a very high cost of living, you can get free or very cheap building materials left over from construction sites and home projects. It may not be the exact materials you want, but IF you have am imagination (and I bet you do;)) you can get those materials and build something just as good or better.

Congratulations on College! I know it's hard work, but it is so worth it![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by