Talk to me about incubating other species under a broody hen.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naturemom, Jun 29, 2008.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    One of my hens is broody again. This is the 6th or 7th time this year that she has gone broody. So, since I'm wanting some ducks anyway I thought maybe I'd put a few duck eggs under her. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with chickens raising babies of other species? Anything I should be aware of? I know ducks need higher humidity so I'd need to spray them with water. Also, since she's a bantam the eggs might be too big for her to turn so I'd probably have to do that, too. I think it might actually end up being more work than using a bator, but I only have one bator and it has runner eggs in it right now, although things are not looking good and I would not be surprised if none hatch-I think they were tossed around quite a bit during shipping.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Hmm...this is a tough question! I think a broody hen would be able to hatch out duck eggs, but there is a chance she may walk off and leave them after awhile because they take so much longer to hatch than chicken eggs.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    if she has set that much she will set on duck eggs till they hatch good luck

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    She should hatch them with no problem, but boy will she go crazy the first time they go in for a swim!

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Hmm? I guess she could hatch them. I'm thinking of letting a hen hatch my guineas next time so maybe they will be tamer if they see their mama likes me. The 2 I have now act like I am a monster. I don't know if it will work or not but I might try.

6. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Quote:That's one of my concerns, especially since I'd have to get the eggs in the mail first. I'm thinking that if she did quit, the bator would be free by then, so I'd just keep an eye on her and move them if she abandoned the nest. I'd love to give her some quail eggs, but my dh and fil (we live with my il's) have nixed the quail idea, at least for this year [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by