Talk to me about retirement

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by halo, Dec 14, 2010.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im looking at (hopefully) retiring in another 4 or 5 years, and am already really really looking forward to it. Looking forward to staying home, enjoying my critters, enjoying relaxing mornings with coffee, more productive gardening, not having to rush off 6 days a week, the stress of work, of people. I know of a lot of people have retired, and hated it, didnt have anything to do, sat around bored; I just dont see that happening with me...I really can't wait to be able to stay home. For those of you who retired, was it good for you, or did you regret it. Did you go back to work?

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Dh and I are enjoying it! Bring home not much more than it takes to pay the bills though. So thats a little restricting, but all in all we are very blessed. We are both 50. Comfortable.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Comfortable is all Im looking for, hoping to get most of my bills paid for before I do retire, so my only bill will be chicken feed!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

With chickens and a rural property, there is always something to do, even if you just sit in a lawn chair with a chicken on your lap.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im likin the sounds of that! Sounds like the voice of experience there.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    We retired last year. I can honestly say that I am so busy that I don't know how I ever had time to work. [​IMG]

So my advice is
    1) Get your ducks in a row (pay off everything you possibly can, put money in savings, etc)
    2 Just Do It

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im likin the sounds of that, too!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Due to a stroke of luck, I was able to retire early. (Age 51) That was 18 years ago. I don't know how I was able to go to work. I never run out of things to do. I raise, train and compete at field trials with my dogs. I work around my garden, flower beds and yard. I work with and train 5 lofts of pigeons. I attend grand kids' sporting events. My wife has an ongoing "honey do" list. Life is good. I am physically active and unless I look in the mirror I remain unaware of the fact that I am aging. (Well, if I must be honest I do get tired sometimes and something is always hurting.[​IMG]" If I had continued working, stress would have killed me. I feel rejuvenated with a second chance at life. I once enjoyed fishing, and next summer if I can find the time I plan to fish again. My wife had to retire 3 times before it took. She also is a person with many interests and doesn't sit still very much. If you have things that you love to do and can afford to retire, I heartily recommend doing so. There are few guarantees in life. Bit by bit I am learning to live in the moment instead of projecting into the future.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im so surprised how many of you in your 50's have retired already.

10. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Dh went to work at age 18 and stayed at the same job 31 and a half years. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by