Talk to me about vines and herbs

Cyneswith

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Camden, SC
I've never grown plants around chickens, and my skill as a gardener... well, "rudimentary" would be complimentary.

I am considering growing nasturtium, clematis, honeysuckle, and either Chinese wisteria, climbng hydrangea, or ivy. I have no experience starting any of these plants, and no experience growing nasturtium, wisteria, climbing hydrangea, or ivy.

Chinese Wisteria may be too invasive. We are in the land of kudzu, after all, and I don't want to be THAT neighbor.

I'm looking to grow basil, lavender, mint, and parsley in my herb garden (there's already rosemary), but the only one of those I've successfully grown was mint. My lavender (seed) and basil (plant) have always died horribly.

I have a few clematis. They aren't exactly vigorous vines here. They are fairly easy, just plant, and let them go. Some need trimming yearly and some don't, it depends on the variety.

I grow nasturiums yearly, they are also easy. Just push the seeds into the soil after all risk of frosts are gone, if you get frosts. They need some sun and regular watering, otherwise they are simple. There are many different varieties, from Bush type to long trailing.

I forgot we also have Virginia creeper, hops and wild grapes as climbers. All are very vigorous. The chickens like the wild grapes.

As far as growing herbs many require well draining soil. Lavender can be temperamental, but does well in the right place.

Basil is easier bought as a plant form a nursery. Lots of herbs can do well in pots due to the better drainage.

I just started growing nasturtiums, this will be my 3rd year. The hens love to eat them. They are also used to decorate human meals. I tried one and it wasn’t bad. Will probably use them for bakery accents as well. In the past I’ve kept my garden separate from the hens. I do put a few pots of hearty herbs in the run like oregano, mint, but keep the rest of the garden outside their area.

I've never grown plants around chickens, and my skill as a gardener... well, "rudimentary" would be complimentary.

I am considering growing nasturtium, clematis, honeysuckle, and either Chinese wisteria, climbng hydrangea, or ivy. I have no experience starting any of these plants, and no experience growing nasturtium, wisteria, climbing hydrangea, or ivy.

Chinese Wisteria may be too invasive. We are in the land of kudzu, after all, and I don't want to be THAT neighbor.

I'm looking to grow basil, lavender, mint, and parsley in my herb garden (there's already rosemary), but the only one of those I've successfully grown was mint. My lavender (seed) and basil (plant) have always died horribly.
I looked up your location, you are about 4 hours from me. I bought a clematis this year and it produced seeds. I will be trying to produce more plants from those.
If you want to swap some seeds let me know. Deb

I'm planning small garden spaces around my run when it is completed this spring. On the South side I am planting a couple of hops vines as they grow densely after a couple years and will climb the hardware cloth and add shade on those hot summer days. While these are taking hold in will go a mix of various sunflower seeds. Not sure yet what will be planted on other sides.

My little flock won't get free range much due to predators including my 2 dogs but with plants growing next to their run I'm thinking they may be able to nibble some so keeping the plantings chicken safe.

Basil grows like crazy from seed, just make sure your soil is not still cold when you plant it. My chickens last summer liked the lime basil tops I tossed to them. I was warned last year about honeysuckle possibly being poisonous to chickens. there is a vey long thread re: herbs for chickens from last summer.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Sunflowers are DEFINITELY going to happen (my kids adore them), and the kids are going to try zinnias. I'm also attempting marigolds right by the garden/coop.

Unfortunately, re: plants poisonous to chickens... my stupid chickens are just gonna weed themselves out. There is TONS of azalea and honeysuckle on our property.

@CapricornFarm - that would be awesome! The best seeds I have at the moment are local watermelon seeds (BEST watermelon I've ever had) and some marigold seeds from Missouri (my grandma had some overachievers.)

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Sunflowers are DEFINITELY going to happen (my kids adore them), and the kids are going to try zinnias. I'm also attempting marigolds right by the garden/coop.

Unfortunately, re: plants poisonous to chickens... my stupid chickens are just gonna weed themselves out. There is TONS of azalea and honeysuckle on our property.

@CapricornFarm - that would be awesome! The best seeds I have at the moment are local watermelon seeds (BEST watermelon I've ever had) and some marigold seeds from Missouri (my grandma had some overachievers.)
Sounds good, the marigolds did well here last year once they took hold. The watermelon fizzled but it was very dry here so i think that did them in.

I planted some herb seeds and 2 have started sprouting already!
20180124_143918.jpg

Back
Top Bottom