Talk Turkey to me

jordan4911

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2016
Somewhere snowy in PA
I'm planning on getting some turkeys this spring, to grow to eat for thanksgiving but also to have some to raise. Trying to figure out a good size for my coop and for a run. They will not be in the run all the time, but I want to have one for "just in case." Also, anything else that is needed in my coop, run, etc... Have had chickens for a while now, but I'm new to turkeys. Thanks!

I'm planning on getting some turkeys this spring, to grow to eat for thanksgiving but also to have some to raise. Trying to figure out a good size for my coop and for a run. They will not be in the run all the time, but I want to have one for "just in case." Also, anything else that is needed in my coop, run, etc... Have had chickens for a while now, but I'm new to turkeys. Thanks!

Read the thread Turkeys 101

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-turkeys-what-do-i-need-to-know#post_11309891

I would raise the poults with some chicks that you have hatched( please note that turkey poults can get blackhead until they get fully grown, so don't expose them to adult chickens till older) the chicks will teach the poults how to eat and drink. Please remember to get smart poults... Just kidding! What type off turkeys are you planning on getting? I like heritage, they are great layers( turkey egg pancakes,anyone?) and don't have joint problems. I feed my adult turkeys 16% layer feed, and they have an automatic waterer. I hope this helps,
Copper2

You will probably want a good sized run as turkeys will run amok if allowed to, they will be everywhere. Housing is simple, somewhere to get out of the elements and roost, 2x4 with the 4 up. Turkey poults need extra care for the first month, they need to be taught to eat and drink and they need brooder temperatures warmer 95-100 for the first week, and they are really clumsy. So you will need to spend more time with them, I don't recommend raising them with chickens, I did it once and the turkeys turned out to be toms and they killed a rooster they were raised with because they were fighting for dominance, turkeys will bond with chickens and become confused as to what species they are, best to keep them separately, turkeys are too rowdy and big.

You will probably want a good sized run as turkeys will run amok if allowed to, they will be everywhere. Housing is simple, somewhere to get out of the elements and roost, 2x4 with the 4 up. Turkey poults need extra care for the first month, they need to be taught to eat and drink and they need brooder temperatures warmer 95-100 for the first week, and they are really clumsy. So you will need to spend more time with them, I don't recommend raising them with chickens, I did it once and the turkeys turned out to be toms and they killed a rooster they were raised with because they were fighting for dominance, turkeys will bond with chickens and become confused as to what species they are, best to keep them separately, turkeys are too rowdy and big.
Remember to remove the chicks after a while.... My turkeys now chase my rooster.... He was raised with them( the turkeys are probably thinking "Traitor!"

Back
Top Bottom