Talking Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rigagirl, May 1, 2009.

1. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    Every time my chicks see me it seems like they get very excited and i think they are saying give us more hard boiled eggs. Its amazing! What is considered too much egg for them? I have 10 babies and i am giving them 3 eggs a day and one slice of bread throughout the day. is that too much or not enough? i know its only considered treats but i know the yolk is good for them, what are your thoughts?

2. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Yours talk too? [​IMG] I have been trying to tell my husband that ours are trying to say "Hey mom, we want more treats!" He just laughs at me. [​IMG]

3. WVJeanne

WVJeanne Out Of The Brooder

Oh, yeah. Chickens talk. When there is something new, they stand and look at it and talk among themselves about it.

My husband complained that the new Silkie Rooster was stupid. He couldn't find his way into the coop. The Silkies live on the second floor, so they have to navigate a stair step arrangement to get to the door. He couldn't seem to master this.

I looked the situation over and decided that the problem was that the poor bird couldn't see. He had a magnificent crest that covered his eyes. He could probably only see a bit of ground right beside him.

I cut off the part of the crest that was covering his eyes and put him back in his pen. He stood there for a few seconds in utter amazement, and then he looked up. He started talking. He talked and talked about the wonderful world of up. He went on and on about it for several minutes.

He had no trouble finding the way into the coop after that.

4. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    That reminds me of my househen Silkie. At bedtime she talks very loudly for about 30 minutes as she makes her way to bed. Recently a had to bring a roo in for some medical care. Each time he crowed, she'd start talking to him like she was telling him to shut up.

5. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    LMAO [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I [​IMG] all the goofy kindred hearts I meet on this site!!! I hope my chicks will talk to me [​IMG]

6. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    We have a white pigeon that we are temporarily keeping because I saved him from being taken off by animal control in a nearby city. (We plan to find a home for him with other pigeons soon, but he seems to like it here.) Whenever I go out to feed the chickens, he always follows me around and makes cooing sounds. I feel like he is reminding me that he wants some, too!

7. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Yes! There's a world of up [​IMG]

That sounds like a large amount for a treat, but I guess that depends on how old they are.

8. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    Mine definitely talk to me too! I have a buff cochin roo that sometimes needs "discipline" and then he'll run off and call me all kinds of names. I say, "George, I heard that"

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    My son did his 5th grade Science project on "Fowl Language". lol He won 3rd place! There was some stiff competition, too. The winning project was a solar powered robot! I had to brag somewhere. [​IMG]

10. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    so then i take it i am not giving them too much egg or bread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by