talking DH into a turkey this Spring-help me??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sonew123, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I would love to grow my very own turkey!!! I would love one that I can process out at 25 or less weeks-Is there a turkey that is ready by then?? He keeps telling me its cheaper to buy one at 59 cents a pound! less mess less food less hassle-do they free-range and come back home? will they beat up my 45 chickens I already have that free range? what breed would you suggest? feel free to add photos-

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The Broad Breasted types are ready in about 4 1/2 months, a heritage breed 6 months. Yes it's true you can get a store bought turkey much cheaper than you can raise your own but when you taste a home grown you will never eat another store bought. [​IMG] The best tasting heritage turkey is the Midget White followed by the Bourbon Red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This should do the trick if he is a softy

[​IMG]

Steve in NC

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Why don't you just take one of mine. He'll fall in love with them and won't eat it.

Susan gave me 5 that were supposed to be for freezer camp. I may have to put an addition on the barn for them.

They won't beat up a chicken. My RIRs (also gifts from Susan) beat the heck out of the turkeys and they are now 1/4 the size. It's hilarious to watch.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    go watch the undercover butterball turkey video and you won't ever want to buy a store turkey again.

5. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    how much dose it cost to raise a turkey that dress about 12 lbs?

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Well bust a move PC!!! Ill be waiting for that Turkey-Susan has turkeys??? I didnt know that! Hmm She does owe me some eggs maybe I can talk her into just sending a few turkey eggs in early Spring??? I love all her birds though... He is a total softie-he may put his foot down but once I bat my eyes a little and suck up real good the world is mine! mau auauauauaua...LOL I think he would flinch if I sneak a couple of turkey eggs in bator-what he going to say once they are hatched out? Not much-just he did with our duck ( I didnt knowI was hatching a duck egg either) but he loves him:) Are they hard to take care of relative to chickens??

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Those pictures are great thank you! those baby pictures im a sucker for:) see this makes it even harder to give up my thoughts of a turkey-my problem is Im a bigger softie and might fall in love with the pre-planned holiday dinner and keep it!

8. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Well bust a move PC!!! Ill be waiting for that Turkey-Susan has turkeys??? I didnt know that! Hmm She does owe me some eggs maybe I can talk her into just sending a few turkey eggs in early Spring??? I love all her birds though... He is a total softie-he may put his foot down but once I bat my eyes a little and suck up real good the world is mine! mau auauauauaua...LOL I think he would flinch if I sneak a couple of turkey eggs in bator-what he going to say once they are hatched out? Not much-just he did with our duck ( I didnt knowI was hatching a duck egg either) but he loves him:) Are they hard to take care of relative to chickens??

Sue had BB Whites but got busted by the poleeece and had to process early. [​IMG]

BB Whites are the turkey equivalent to Cornish X. They don't have problems until they hit a year old, so I'm told.

They are simple to take care of but do fly and wander more than chickens do. They aren't the brightest birds either but they are TOO DARN FRIENDLY!!!! I just went and visited them as I put my dogs out and there are all five all excited to see me and making their turkey calls. The sounds turkeys make are SO COOL!!! My 5 are eating around 8 pounds of feed per day. 2 are toms and the rest are hens. My lead tom is getting a red head now. Oh God I can't process them. What has happened to me???? [​IMG]

Sue had two turkeys that Marlinchaser gave her. They were some heritage breed and so cool.

9. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Depends on how much you paid for the bird as a chick. A 12 pound bird would have eaten 30 to 40 pounds of feed depending on if you ranged him or not.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Sue had BB Whites but got busted by the poleeece and had to process early. [​IMG]

BB Whites are the turkey equivalent to Cornish X. They don't have problems until they hit a year old, so I'm told.

They are simple to take care of but do fly and wander more than chickens do. They aren't the brightest birds either but they are TOO DARN FRIENDLY!!!! I just went and visited them as I put my dogs out and there are all five all excited to see me and making their turkey calls. The sounds turkeys make are SO COOL!!! My 5 are eating around 8 pounds of feed per day. 2 are toms and the rest are hens. My lead tom is getting a red head now. Oh God I can't process them. What has happened to me???? [​IMG]

Sue had two turkeys that Marlinchaser gave her. They were some heritage breed and so cool.

Oh Lordy thats what Im afraid of! I love love loving my babies!! Now roos that I know I will process not so much buuuh bye!!! So maybe if I pretend they are dinner and dont name them and make someone else feed them I might be ok..LOL... Poor Susan-why can't people just leave things alone! Are you selling ur turkey eggs when they lay-thats "if" you don't process them??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by