Tamale Soup Recipe

Yogiman

Songster
11 Years
Feb 2, 2008
South Louisiana
This soup is especially favored by the children. It is simple, quick and easy, yet nourishing. It is also very flexible in that one can add to or take away as seen fit for personal tastes.

Tamale Soup:
1 lrg. can or 1 small cans of hot tamales
2 cans of chicken broth
2 cans of whole kernel corn
2 cans of chile beans or ranch beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes w/chilis (Rotel Tomatoes)

Instructons:

Remove tamales from can, remove paper wrapper and cut into bite size portions.
Combine tamales, and all remaining ingredients in large stock pot and heat. No cooking required!
Serve with Frito Corn Chips, Scoops, or cornbread.

Comments:
This recipe makes a very large pot of soup. Half the recipe is about right for two people.
One pound of browned hamburger added to the soup provides extra meat.
Whole kernel corn may be substituted with hominy and or cream style corn.
Most any type bean is good with this recipe however the chili beans add the extra zip.
A can of chili added also adds flavor.
Especially flavorful when topped with diced onions, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Good grief!
th.gif
What are you doing to me???

You know I have to try this!!!!

Prissy said:
You know I have to try this!!!!

Hey, go for it! It is some kind of good. It's quick and easy. Really a no brainer. You do not have to know how to cook to make this. And best of all, the kids love it! They can make it for themselves.
Plus, it's a lot better for them than those cardboard pizzas and fat burgers that they like so much. lol Might even be better than the spagetti that they have to have.
It keeps real well too. I freeze large containers of it for emergencies when I am to lazy to cook.
Enjoy !!!!!!!!!

I made this today but I can't ever do anything simple and I improvised.

I used

light kidneybean
dark kidney bean
black bean
pinto bean

Simmer with my chili spices until wonderfully flavorfull.

Then I added a large jar of southwest style blackbean and white corn salsa. (I did not use ro-tel because I only have 1 can left on my pantry shelf and it is not always readily found here in grocery stores.
sad.png
)

I used a large can of tamales cut into bite sized pieces.

It is simmering and tastes fantastic!

I have a jar of my homemade salsa (hhhooott!!) thawed and ready, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped green onion, fresh cilantro as toppings and a big bag of lime flavored tortilla chips.

We are wired for suppertime!!!!

I hope I didn't ruin it but sometimes I have to improvise!

OMG! Now you make me ashamed of this 12 qt. pot of tamale soup on my stove that I thought was good. I'm gonna chunk it to the dogs and head on up to your house for supper tonite without an invite. What cha' think about that? Some how I just knew you would be the one to add that MissPrissy twist to it.
gig.gif
Sounds heavenly.
Now you gotta watch out for that dang bus load of free loaders that is liable to pull up in your front yard any minute now that they know you made tamale soup.
lau.gif

Cheryl wrote:
Yogi, my family loved your soup and the fresh tamales from Trader Joes worked out great!

Ugh, thank you. Thank you very much.
lol.png
I think as you can see from Prissy's post above, this is a very versatile recipe in that you can improvise it as you see fit to suit individual tastes.

But Prissy has to go and show us all up.
gig.gif
Only problem with that is, she will never know just how good the original recipe was.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom