Tame a wild duck?

dwing

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
Good Hope Illinois
We found an injured mallard last weekend, I think it's a male blue winged teal . He has a gash above his bill and a bum left leg. I'm trying to nurse him back to health but he doesn't seem like he can use his leg. So I don't think he can survive. He still hisses at me, can they be tamed?

Last edited:
We found an injured mallard last weekend, I think it's a male blue winged teal . He has a gash above his bill and a bum left leg. I'm trying to nurse him back to health but he doesn't seem like he can use his leg. So I don't think he can survive. He still hisses at me, can they be tamed?

You need to turn the duck over to a bird rescue or a local game warden. They have the facilities to deal with injured waterfowl. The other aspect is that in spite of your good intentions, it is illegal for you to have the duck.

I didn't know that. Well I know it's not illegal to have ducks lol. But you mean wild ducks? But then why can you hunt and eat them?

You have to purchase the proper licenses and follow the rules (which are drawn up in law) to be able to hunt ducks. Ducks fall under Federal jurisdiction because of the Migratory Bird Act. While there are some states which do provide permits that allow for the possession of wild ducks, I am not aware of any that allow the possession of a live duck taken from the wild.

Domestic ducks are a different matter entirely and fall into a whole different classification.

All that aside, what is best for the duck is to turn it over to the proper people who do have the ability to treat it in the most appropriate manner.

Back
Top Bottom