1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tame a wild duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dwing, Apr 21, 2017.

1. dwing

dwing New Egg

Jun 7, 2014
    Good Hope Illinois
    We found an injured mallard last weekend, I think it's a male blue winged teal . He has a gash above his bill and a bum left leg. I'm trying to nurse him back to health but he doesn't seem like he can use his leg. So I don't think he can survive. He still hisses at me, can they be tamed?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    You need to turn the duck over to a bird rescue or a local game warden. They have the facilities to deal with injured waterfowl. The other aspect is that in spite of your good intentions, it is illegal for you to have the duck.

3. dwing

dwing New Egg

Jun 7, 2014
    Good Hope Illinois
    I didn't know that. Well I know it's not illegal to have ducks lol. But you mean wild ducks? But then why can you hunt and eat them?

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    You have to purchase the proper licenses and follow the rules (which are drawn up in law) to be able to hunt ducks. Ducks fall under Federal jurisdiction because of the Migratory Bird Act. While there are some states which do provide permits that allow for the possession of wild ducks, I am not aware of any that allow the possession of a live duck taken from the wild.

Domestic ducks are a different matter entirely and fall into a whole different classification.

All that aside, what is best for the duck is to turn it over to the proper people who do have the ability to treat it in the most appropriate manner.

1 person likes this.
  5. Waddlein

Waddlein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Olympia, Washington
    I agree with R2elk to a bird rescue or local bird waren.

6. cjperrault1

cjperrault1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Beaumont texas
    turn it in before your reported

7. dwing

dwing New Egg

Jun 7, 2014
    Good Hope Illinois
    Did

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by