Tame Birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by no roosters, Nov 11, 2011.

1. no roosters

no roosters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2011
    Austin
    I am looking to get some new chickens and hoping to get something that is tame enough for my kids to be able to pet and possibly hold. Can anyone suggest any breeds that are tame and or easily tamed/ handled. I appreciate any help. Thank You.

Egg production is more important than looks in the chickens.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Most dominiques and games can be tamed, especially when hand reared. I can tame / train them to point where they come when called name to eat out of kids hands even when kids have never been around chickens before.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:They are a pretty awesome bird to look at and would be good around the kids but I do chickens for the eggs and would not get an ample supply raising Silkies. Would probably get one or two just to have a mix in there but would prefer a Dominique or RIR which are also pretty tame, especially if gotten in the early pullet stage.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Orpingtons of any color (Buff Orps are the most commonly found) are really friendly chickens and kids love to pick them up. They so fluffy!

Barred Rocks are also friendly. As are Australorps. Also Jersey Giants.

Of those, I think Australorps are the best layers.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    My all time favorites for being just a good, calm, friendly bird are Marans. I raised mine from hatching but I didn't hold them a lot or baby them. They act like I did though. I have a Blue, Splash, and Wheaten, all 3 are sweet. The Wheaten one, "Wheaties", will run across the yard to greet me (no treat required) and will follow me around. She's been like that since day one. Falling out of the brooder onto my lap and chasing me around. She's a riot.

The Golden Lakenvelder hen that was raised with them is a flighty moron.

Orpingtons are good. Brahmas too. Black Astralorps is another one that's been calm and reasonably friendly.

The Marans though, I just walk up and grab one. They squat right away, no running off, they just stand there. Once I have one on my lap... she doesn't panic or anything. Specially Wheaties and Splash... they just hang out. I like that I didn't have to set there and hold them every day from day one to get them like that.

I had two Red Stars, they had been raised by kids as easter chicks. They were SUPER tame... you could do anything you wanted to them... pull a wing out, look under it, ruffle through their feathers to check them out, really easy and without holding them down. They'd hop in your lap when you sat down. But I know they had been held and toted around by kids.

7. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    My Dominiques are the friendliest in my flock. Two will come up and stand there and wait to be picked up, and not just by me! My brother-in-law was over last weekend, and he is just fascinated by the chickens. He couldn't wait to hold one. So I turned them loose, and one Dom was standing by us while we chatted, he just scooped her up and she didn't bat an eye [​IMG] My Jersey Giants are pretty calm, but don't necessarily want to be picked up, same with my Brahma.

8. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Silver-Laced Wyandotte are great with us all. Treats will win anyone friends in the chicken community. None of my chickens like to be picked up, but those 3 will walk right up and let me (or the kids) pat them.

I had my kids spend a lot of time handling them (supervised by me) when they were chicks. We got them at 6 weeks old, and they love people. When visitors come they are often greeted by the gang. My watch duck, Fern, always announces our guests' arrivals.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Quote:I agree with the orps and barred rocks; I have these two types. But, remember that chickens can be as varialble as humans. Not every chicken, even these, will be as friendly as the next. Of my orps, 1/4 is comfortable being handled and the others tolerate it. Of my BR's, 3/4 like human interaction, the fourth keeps out of arm's reach. But, they ALL flock around whenever I get near the coop.

10. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    It also depends on the age and temperament of the kids. Loud, squealing, bouncing around, bright colored, hyper little people can terrorize even the calmest chicken. I try and try to get my 3-through-11-year-old grandkids to approach the coop calmly, wait for the chicken to come to them, sit patiently, etc, but it turns into the proverbial Chinese Fire Drill every time. [​IMG] I do stop the chasing game quickly, though. I don't think the chickens enjoy being chased one bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by