Tame chickens **PICS**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleroo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I just thought you'd like to see my babies with my granddaughter. She is 5 yrs old and never been around chickens before and the chickens have never been around children. My babies are just 9 wks old and they let her hold them, pet them, feed them out of her hand (which is something I never do). We had the best time; all were very gentle with each other....
    [​IMG]
    She asked if I'd show her how to hold one so she learned how to pick up and hold a chicken with our little roo...
    [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That is adorable. [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    How sweet! Your granddaughter is beautiful. I hope at least some of ours will be tame enough to be fed and petted by my girls.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful!

5. bildo6

bildo6 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    florida
    we have one chick that we hold a lot trying to make/keep her (i hope shes a her) tame. our 3 y/o does well with the few hens we have. now if i can stop her from giving them so many treats

6. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Sweet. Iread your page on how to tame and we have done the same. All 12 of my babies (7 weeks old now) are very tame.

[​IMG]

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Its amazing how easy it is, isn't it....Its really all about what comforts them....

8. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I tried your method, and it did seem to calm most of the chicks I tried it on. But some weren't buying it, and one of the New Hampshires bit me! I must be doing something wrong. Do you have a picture tutorial? [​IMG]. I just got my chicks yesterday. Is it too soon to start??

Rachel

9. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Very nice Noodleroo! I have 8 four week old chicks and one 7 week old grandson that I'm training them for! I hope to one day introduce him to the chickens and let him fall in love with them the way I have. Touch touch touch handle handle handle love love love. I think it will work. How exciting to see your granddaughter holding your chickens. Everyone looks so happy!

10. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Awww such sweet photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by