tame quail

Honestly, I find it very hard to tame quail. I think the farthest you can go is by getting them to eat out of your hand. probably not more than that.

What aaabirdman said about wild quail eating out of my hand is my definition of tame - that and being able to look at them a few feet away from you. What I call not tame is when the quail hears the click of your door opening outside and they all run for cover. Anyway, for an 18 month old blue scaled or < 2 year old gambel, I think the tamest you can get with them is being able to stand a couple of feet from them. If you want some wild quail to be tamer than that, try hatching them out from eggs and care for them from that point on to adult. I did that to my mountain quail this year (unintentionally) and they are tame. They tend to shy slowly away if I'm going to grab them but if I'm sitting down on a chair or on the ground, they jump on me, peck me, looking for something to eat. I've never had a wild quail that loves being handled.

Pretty much what everyone else already said. Once they're past chick age, they're pretty set in their ways and your chances of taming them are slim. And tame in this case means "not actively running away constantly."

If you want quail that are more like chickens in their tameness, you'll need to start with chicks or, better yet, hand-raise them from hatching.

I got mine as 3-week chicks and they're moderately tame, meaning they'll eat out of my hand and don't freak out when i reach into their pen. Only one seems to actually enjoy having me around, and she was younger than the rest; probably only about a week and a half old.

Back
Top Bottom