Taming a "wild" duckling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gateship85, Aug 16, 2010.

1. gateship85

gateship85 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    I realize this is not a chicken question but if anyone has ideas please let me know!
    Yesterday I went out and bought 3 Khaki Campbell ducklings. They were with their mom in a large yard and we had to chase them and catch them with a net (sounds a lot worse than it actually was!). They were/are basically wild as they were not handled before this point and their mom was also only simi-tame. Two of the ducklings are pretty wild but don't mind being held too much. The other one is the problem maker. She is bitting whenever I pick her up. While her bits don't hurt right now, I don't want her to bit one of my human little ones and freak them out. Nor do I want her to grow up with the habit of bitting. Any ideas?
    I have started holding her and talking to her softly. I plan on doing this quite often over the next week (or more!) with the hope of taming her down a bit. Even if she is never a duck that likes to be held I need her not to bite people.
    Thanks!

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    with birds (exotics) biting can be solved if you don't reacked if she realizes its not doing anything shell probably stop

3. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Try posting this under the "ducks" section. They are super helpful and I'm sure they would have some advice!

4. gateship85

gateship85 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks! That would make sense to post there! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by