Taming and bonding with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cwyrick1022, Mar 3, 2017.

1. cwyrick1022

cwyrick1022 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    How do you tame your chicks to not be so scared when being handled?

What has worked best for you?

I feel so bad when I reach in and they all scatter like I'm Godzilla trying to eat them. :rolleyes:

Any advice helps.
    Mother of 4 silkie chicks.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you been reaching down from above to handle your chicks? The first step yo handling chicks to create tame, friendly ones is to reach for them from the side, sliding your hand up to their toes until they want to step onto your hand. Try it.

1 person likes this.
  3. cwyrick1022

cwyrick1022 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I will definitely try that thank you!:)

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Spend plenty of time with them. Yes reaching from above to grab them does trigger the aerial predator reaction and they will flee. My wife and I would change into clean clothes and go sit in their brooding tent and talk to them quietly. Before long they would come right up and hop into our lap. They enjoy roosting on legs and shoulders which are great napping spots and it was just so much fun to observe them. Slow movements are better than fast ones. They like shiny things so I would be careful about wearing jewelry if you plan to let them use you as a jungle gym. Best Wishes.

1 person likes this.
  5. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    we grab our chicks slowly out of our brooder, and have them sleep in our hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by