Taming baby pigeons

quackers57

Chirping
May 13, 2015
Uk
Hi I have got some squabs that are in the nest (hatched today) at the moment and wondering what would be the best way to tame one. Seen somewhere that your ment to take the squab away from the parents at two weeks old to hand feed it?

you could hand feed it and to my knowledge you can just occasionally take it out of the nest and hold it and pet it and get it used to you before it leaves the nest and after it fledges feed it seeds and food from your hand ive seen people train birds at a young age before it has left the nest and didn't feed it at all

You don't take it away, but rather handle it. At 2 weeks old , the baby still need regurgitated food, Unless you are willing to take seeds into your mouth , chew to smooth texture, and feed your squab that way, they cant eat hard seed yet. I'm not sure that would be a good idea anyways. The breed of pigeon is also a factor as to how easy they are to tame. I have racing homers, have handled them , and they still are not that willing to be handled as grown adults. A good question would be to find out the breed of the white pigeons used by magicians . They pull them out of the hat and they don't fly away. When I hold one of mine, they just cant wait to fly.
WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

these are about 2 to 3 weeks

Hi thanks for the help. I have fed racing squabs on just wild bird seed from before they had propper feathers before but wanted to know the best age to take from the nest and feed as I have seen that that has the best results.

You don't take it away, but rather handle it. At 2 weeks old , the baby still need regurgitated food, Unless you are willing to take seeds into your mouth , chew to smooth texture, and feed your squab that way, they cant eat hard seed yet. I'm not sure that would be a good idea anyways. The breed of pigeon is also a factor as to how easy they are to tame. I have racing homers, have handled them , and they still are not that willing to be handled as grown adults. A good question would be to find out the breed of the white pigeons used by magicians . They pull them out of the hat and they don't fly away. When I hold one of mine, they just cant wait to fly. WISHING YOU BEST. :thumbsup these are about 2 to 3 weeks
and nice birds.

I hand raised my first pigeon Nutty starting when she was 2 weeks old and she is very "tame", meaning she believes she owns me and will attack my hands if I try to remove her from my head or shoulder lol. I fed her seeds and field or maple peas, which were her favorite. She is over 2 years old, has had 4 mates and is still as tame as she was when she was a baby, but she gets very mad if I get near her nest. Some of my other hand raised ones don't really like me anymore, they will ocationally land on my back when I bend down and will attack my hands if I touch their nest but don't sit on my hands or arm anymore like how Nutty does.

Nutty sitting on my arm, she is in "attack mode", ready to chase my other hand away if I try to touch her
lol.png

Last edited:
I hand raised my first pigeon Nutty starting when she was 2 weeks old and she is very "tame", meaning she believes she owns me and will attack my hands if I try to remove her from my head or shoulder lol. I fed her seeds and field or maple peas, which were her favorite. She is over 2 years old, has had 4 mates and is still as tame as she was when she was a baby, but she gets very mad if I get near her nest. Some of my other hand raised ones don't really like me anymore, they will ocationally land on my back when I bend down and will attack my hands if I touch their nest but don't sit on my hands or arm anymore like how Nutty does. Nutty sitting on my arm, she is in "attack mode", ready to chase my other hand away if I try to touch her :lol:
nutty looks awesome thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom