Taming Bobs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Sep 26, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How do people tame bobwhites?

Thanks!!![​IMG]

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Well Toby, I guess we (I at least) need to know what you would describe as "tame"? I've got a bunch of'em....some going on 2 years old, and I'm around them every single day.........and to some degree they're as wild some days as if they were gettin' flushed out of a briar patch out in their natural world. Granted.......the oldest ones (for the most part) are more tolerant of me opening the cage and doing stuff in there without them spazzing (even have to push them out of the way sometimes)...........but notice I said "for the most part". Some days, on the other hand, they're like me when I don't have my Xanax..............as nervous as a .........well,
    Wild Bird [​IMG]

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ok

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:when i was growing up my mom had a Bobwhite that thought she was the sun,moon and stars all rolled into one
    it had a 'doghouse 'with hay in it in the backyard for shelter and she kept food and water out for it but it wasn't penned or caged or anything like that.
    it would hang off our kitchen screen door and cry for her every time she'd be out and then go back inside...that bird would sit on her while she was weeding and eat the bugs she stirred up in the process.
    It would disappear in the winter and be back in the spring .This happened for 3 years then "Bobby" (lol ..Of course) didn't return one spring we all missed that bird ! [​IMG]
    It showed up the first time when it was a little bitty thing barely feathered out...Don't know why it was in looooooooooooove with my mom but it just was. maybe it was all the weeding that they shared together ? i have no idea .
    if you give them tastey insects to eat from your hand ? i don't know how many Bobs you have ....they looove mealworms ,try that...
    Just thought i'd share .....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 36, Thanks!![​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:A SHOTGUN WITH THE PROPER LEAD.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Seriously Tho, Here You Have 36.... In The Other String You Had 2 That Laid 6 Eggs A Day???

8. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    The other ones dont lay yet, i only have 2 that lay.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:A SHOTGUN WITH THE PROPER LEAD.

I was thinking toast and milk gravy [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:IF YOUR GETTING 6 EGGS A DAY YOU HAVE ALOT MORE THAN 2 HENS LAYING.... WHAT KIND OF LIGHTING ARE YOU USING ON THEM?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by