Taming Chickies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollymh, Feb 17, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Is there a certain way to tame chicks? My two chicks act scared of me and peck me lol I want them to love us!!!

2. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Some breeds are more likely than others to be friendly. Do you want them to be friendly as in just being sociable (i.e. eating out of your hand) or do you want them friendly enough to sit in your lap? www.mypetchicken.com tells a lot about which birds are friendly. Use their chick finder tool and leave open your options to get the most breeds. McMurray Hatchery also gets into talking about their breeds personalities.

What type of chicks do you have?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As young chicks they'll go thru stages. Some days they'll be terrified of you, other days they'll be more accepting.
    Just keep spending time with them. It helps to get on their level as much as possible, rather than hovering overhead. If I were a tiny little creature that many predators dined on I would be afraid of something coming from above and scooping me up - ala hawk - too. Sit quietly. Talk softly.
    And treats. Treats are the way to a chicken's heart.

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

When I rescued my horse I would just sit out there with her or clean the stall all the while talking softly about nothing at all. When I would sit with her I'd make sure to have a treat with me which I would show to her but not press at her to take.
    Chickens are the same but a little slower on the uptake. Just spend time with them. When you take their food to them hang out and call softly to them, encourage them to come eat their wonderful treats. They'll get that you're not a danger soon enough.

5. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:What can I give them as treats lol I'm new at this can you tell:/

6. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:I have Chamorro Chickens, they are a breed that has developed in Guam lol They are Phoenix and Jungle fowl

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You don't mention your chick's ages. I started treats at 10 days old. Chopped hard boiled egg and plain yogurt are two things they love and are good for them.
    Very small amounts at a time.
    When you first put treats in with them they'll look at the treats and then look at you as if you are trying to poison them. Just leave the treats in with them. They'll get over their fear. Soon they'll look forward to seeing you to see what kind of goodies you'll bring next.

8. hollymh

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:You don't mention your chick's ages. I started treats at 10 days old. Chopped hard boiled egg and plain yogurt are two things they love and are good for them.
    Very small amounts at a time.
    When you first put treats in with them they'll look at the treats and then look at you as if you are trying to poison them. Just leave the treats in with them. They'll get over their fear. Soon they'll look forward to seeing you to see what kind of goodies you'll bring next.

One chick is 7 days and the other is 6

9. GoodyChickenShz

GoodyChickenShz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    The CA High Desert
    I gave my chicks small amounts of canned dog food. They loved it! One of my chicks I couldn't get rid of! She peeped really, really loudly every time I put her down. I ended up having to carry her around in my pocket everywhere I went(!) and letting her sleep with me inside my shirt at night! She would crawl around on my shoulders and in my hair like a little maniac. Of course, she was abandoned in the nest at birth by her Mama so I had to take her in the house to care for her, so I guess it was natural that she thought I was her mama!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by