Taming Chicks

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by JK2PC, May 27, 2016.

1. JK2PC

JK2PC Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    This is my second set of chicks. The first I got at 7 days old. Both turned out to be roosters and I had to find them a new home (I'm broken hearted). I got 3 New Hampshire pulleys (sorry auto correct won't let me put what they really are so they are pulleys). They are 8 to 10 weeks old and scared to deth of me. I am sitting in the coop with them for at least an hour a day and trying to associate myself with snack time. My roos were pets and I want my hens to be the same. Any ideas?

2. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

The pullets I get are always terrified of people, but with time they get better! Walk through the coop once or twice a day, talk to your birds, and if they are in a run too, give them treats outside and do things near the run. I find that my birds are much less scared of me when they are not in the coop, I think this may have to do with the fact that in the building they are somewhat trapped. May take a while for your birds to start liking you!!! Also, as a note, having a rooster in with your gals will make them much less friendly with you. Before I had roos, I was the dominant bird to them, (my girls would even crouch when I walked by, like what they do for the roos...), and they didnt mind being picked up or held. They are harder to handle and dont enjoy it all too much.

3. JK2PC

JK2PC Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions. They don't have a run they just have a GIANT coop. I want to let them out to explore like my roos did but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to catch them. My roos are no longer living here :(

4. Hrairoo

You should set up a simple run out of chicken wire for them, they would really enjoy it, and while they are busy foraging around you can also sprinkle some feed or treats for them... My chickens love that. (The whole lot of them come running/flying up to me when they see me exit the house bahah)
    Best of luck

5. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    When you hang out with them, do you sit in a chair or on the ground? Mine were far more comfortable with me being on their level. I'd sit in the grass and they'd hop all over me. My Wyandottes, who would shriek in protest when I picked them up, were happy to settle onto my knee and hang out with me on their terms.

6. Hrairoo

Yes! Chickens see things above them as predators, so it's best to be down low!

7. JK2PC

JK2PC Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    I sit with them. One kind of likes me only because she was not strong enough to run away the first 2 days. I dont chase yhem btw, they just freak when they see me. She figured out very quickly I was friend not foe :) She doesn't hop all over me like i want but she at least stands by me. I'm hoping the others learn from her. The crickets are helping.

8. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    A few meal worms or a handful of scratch made fast friends out of our babies. Now when we walk in the coop they surround us. They will hop up in our laps when we sit on buckets. Give it some time and a few treats.

9. Keraun

Keraun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Treats while sitting help. I started out just holding one or a piece of one in my fingers (piece if they couldn't seem to break it when they were little). It has graduated to feedings like this. Mobbed.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I just sit with them. I don't use treats as I don't want their acceptance and affection to be food driven. Some will not take to you and some will, and that's okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by