1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Taming Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anne4596, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Anne4596

Anne4596 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    I have a broody hen raising chicks inside of my home due to the cold weather. I wish to tame the chicks so that I can handle them easily when they are fully grown. They are still frightened of me, but they will eat from my hand. Is there any different taming method that should be used because they are being raised by a broody? Please let me know of any successful taming methods you know of. Thank you!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

I think the main thing is whether or not the mama's tame. If she interprets you as a threat then her babies will too.
    The second main thing is when parakeet ditched her brood three weeks to early, we would cuddle them under our shirts and put them in the right place to sleep. Just cuddling them under your shirt and talking to them is my favorite way to tame babies. They'll act frightened of you for awhile. My "grand babies" were crazy till they realized how things went when mama isn't there. Then they calmed right down, and tolerate being held, but only a few of my chickens actually enjoy being cuddled.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Agree with PM. It really does depend on the broody. If she is not fond of humans, you will have an uphill battle.

If your broody is on the fence, if you can corrupt her over to being a fan of humans, you can then use her to demonstrate to the chicks that lap cuddles are a desirable thing to participate in.

I had a broody raise a single chick this past summer. The egg donor of the chick has not been overly friendly so I was prepared for the offspring also to be standoffish, but I didn't reckon on the broody.

My broody has always been a lap hog. She loves to get cuddled and she does a very good imitation of giggling when she's held. She was no less eager for lap cuddles as a broody so from the time the chick was just a few days old, I cuddled the two of them together in my arms and lap. The chick enjoyed it every bit as much as her broody mama, and she never was the least bit skittish.

The "chick" is now four months old, and she is still very happy to be cuddled. I recommend including the broody each time you handle a chick providing the broody is receptive to being handled.

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Just make holding sessions short. They DO NOT like to be away from their babies AT ALL. Parakeet was tame, but we couldn't hang on to her for more than a few seconds while she had her babies she would be like, [​IMG]

5. BayNatives

BayNatives Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    We've got a broody hen who was the gentlest sweetheart in the flock but now that she's got chicks, she attacks us viciously. Actually she doesn't usually peck hard but she charges and it's really alarming because she's huge. I think what happened is the other hens ate one of her chicks, and that's when she changed. Food will warm her up though! The chicks aren't afraid of me, they will come walk on my feet but I have to back off or she'll lash out :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Our incubated chicks have been more friendly. A friend borrowed them once when she had a rare day off and spent two nights and a full day with them, with no distractions and that really seemed to make a difference.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by