Dubbily

Hatching
Feb 19, 2018
Hi guys,

I went to my local produce shop on Saturday to buy some bedding for my hens and came back with an adorable duckling (best impulse buy ever).

My little duckling is settling in very well in its own little closed off coup within my hens’ free run area (hoping everyone will be used to each other by the time the duck has grown up). I let it have a little swim supervised once a day but it freaks out when I pick it up and doesn’t really like it sometimes when I pet it. It did fall asleep on me yesterday when I was petting it but was scared again today.

Are there any tips on getting it used to me?

Thanks in advance!!

Also, I have no idea what breed it is. I was so excited to bring the fella home that I didn’t ask

Attachments

• 1539EDC9-742E-4C51-881F-909C7F944178.jpeg
    1539EDC9-742E-4C51-881F-909C7F944178.jpeg
    904.7 KB · Views: 38
why-not-to-keep-one-duck-png.1261216

I would get another duckling if at all possible :)

Make sure you're feeding it an appropriate feed like flock raiser. To get it more used to you, you can try feeding it a treat such as mealworms from your hand. But ducks really don't like to be handled; even very tame ones usually prefer that you not pick them up, so chances are it's never really going to be okay with that type of thing.

Was going to say the same thing as @Pyxis; another duck buddy would really benefit the little one. I’m sure the hens offer ‘some’ visual support in that it’s not all alone but from what I’ve read (which, in fairness, does not make it gospel) the Chickens just sort of tolerate ducks. Not an animal prejudice thing (LOL) but that ducks are a lot sloppier in nature than Chickens so the Chickens just sortve “ugh”. But I’ve heard they can get along with little-to-no problems.

But I have personally experienced the sadness that is a lonely duck. I moved to the country ona beautiful 6 acre plot and there was a resident Pekin. Knowing nothing about ducks at the time, I figured it’d fly to wherever it wished. Nope. Only duck, and literally stuck, on the property. A couple of months after we moved in; we had a Pekin looking in one of our dining room door windows. Poor girl was just looking for anything I guess. So I got her two more buddies. She seems to be much duck-ier now.

As for holding them and what not, I’ve not had the pleasure of baby ducklings (yet) so I can’t much offer help on taming though I will say that any duck I’ve seen, that hasn’t been raised as an indoor pet duck, has been pretty much “love you, great, but look and don’t touch.” So it could just be nature for the stand-offishness.

(Pics attached of first occurrences of lonely peeping duck at two different doors)

Attachments

• 0B7D2701-0516-415F-8432-9DF2B256D3A5.jpeg
    0B7D2701-0516-415F-8432-9DF2B256D3A5.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 23
  • F19CDBB3-06CE-4B55-8F2A-7ACEDFF948D7.png
    F19CDBB3-06CE-4B55-8F2A-7ACEDFF948D7.png
    520.3 KB · Views: 20
@Dubbily :welcome
are you in the USA ?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/
Here is some great info on raising ducklings

I have to agree on getting your duckling a buddy unless you able to be with it 24/7 it will be awfully lonely they don't call them flock animals for nothing. They are also prey for other animals and that is another reason they instinctually shy away from being help and even touched. But spending time with ducklings just sitting and not expecting anything other than closeness from them is the best way to win them over plus of course treats.
Here is the link to the duck sticky's which has a whole lot of info even has what is good and not https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

I believe your duckling is a Muscovy. I love this breed one of my favorites. I am a little concerned about your putting the lil one in water right now. Hopefully it was warm water and your keeping it from getting chilled. Anyway it's all in the link about raising and caring for them I posted here.
We'd love more pics too. :)
As for feed an All flock crumble is best it can be fed to all poultry if you can't get that then chick starter grower would be next recommendation. and a water container deep enough for the duckling to clean out it's nostrils and eye but can't get into and drown.

Back
Top Bottom