taming hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddyg84, Feb 27, 2014.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    4 hens ive had 3 months are still very shy and i cant get near them before they run away. The other 4 peck my shoes theyre so tame. Any ideas on how to tame the shy girls? Have thought of when they go to roost in the evening picking them up every evening. Would this sound like a good idea?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    First, get them used to the idea that you're the feeder, chickens love the feeder. Throw them some food and they will soon get to liking you. It might also help to offer them rare treats like meal worms or sun flower seeds. But don't move suddenly, it might scare them, out of all your hard work. After awhile you'll see them at your back door waiting for you [​IMG].

3. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I agree! treats are your friend when trying to tame flighty birds.

Our Hamburgs are very flighty, they still get spooked if I move to quickly or go to pick them up, but they will follow me anywhere to get sunflower seeds or other treats. It takes a little bit of time, but as soon as they trust you, it makes all the difference. [​IMG]

Edited to add: We raised ours from chicks and they are just a flighty breed, others may not be so skittish.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Maybe just built into their personality. Youre right about the treats they always get plenty, they run to get them from me but still keep their,distance. Just want them to get to the same stage as the others but maybe asking too much

5. smudge

smudge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Ditto on the treats. They might still be flighty, but at least they'll fly to you for the treats. ;)

6. smudge

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    By the way, how old are these hens?

Picking them up occasionally is a good idea - no other way of getting them used to you handle them.

7. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Only coming into lay. They wont come to me during the day but seem to calm quickly when i handle them in the coop in the evening.

8. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Treats have helped me with some of my birds, but unfortunately some birds are flighty by nature. My minorca will follow me around the yard and eat out of my hand, but the second I try and pick her up she goes wild. You would think I was trying to kill her! I have a buff orpington like that too. She is very skittish. I've tried a whole bunch of different stuff, but I've had no luck. I just kind of chalk it up to the nature of the birds.

9. smudge

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    I will say that mine became a lot easier to handle after PUL. They're not hopping on my lap or my shoulder, but they will go where I want them to most of the time. (I sing them into the run, and sing them inside for the night. And they'll race from anywhere when I call "cheese!") And they'll tolerate all the silliness my 2nd grader puts them through (everything up to and including the Hokey Pokey).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by